• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missed court date appointment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rickbb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.
My wife cosigned for my daughter to rent a appartment. My daughter moved out and the landlord sued my wife and daughter for unpaid rent and damages. The date and time were set for the trial. My wife and daughter had the letter with the time to arrive. The time was changed at some point and both were 1/2 hour late and a judgement was set for the plaintiff....My wife and daughter filled the necessary papers to reopen the case. Can this be done? I know this was extremely important to be there. They both just screwed up. What will happen here. Do they have a chance to reopen or are they just SCREWED.
Thank you for the help.

sandyclaus

My wife cosigned for my daughter to rent a appartment. My daughter moved out and the landlord sued my wife and daughter for unpaid rent and damages. The date and time were set for the trial. My wife and daughter had the letter with the time to arrive. The time was changed at some point and both were 1/2 hour late and a judgement was set for the plaintiff....My wife and daughter filled the necessary papers to reopen the case. Can this be done? I know this was extremely important to be there. They both just screwed up. What will happen here. Do they have a chance to reopen or are they just SCREWED.
Thank you for the help.
Unless your wife and daughter have a darn good reason for being late and missing the proceeding, I'd say they may well be screwed. Getting to court late because they didn't plan appropriately to get to court on time won't likely be good enough.

They can certainly file a request to have the judgment set aside, but don't count on that being approved.

BL

Thank you for the help.
How much difference in times ?

If say court started at 9 and they changed from the time from 9 to 9:30 it may not be valid enough.

If it were change from AM to PM that may be accepted.

Where I come from folks get there and wait to be called either AMs or PMs.

No one was notified of the change ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">