• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing DVD Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PatG

I am a college student at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. Three weeks ago, my Japanese Culture organization had a movie showing in one of our lecture halls, and I brought my case of DVDs with me to show some material. I left the DVD case there, but did not notice until this week because I rarely have time to watch movies. I went back to the hall and asked the custodial staff if the case had been found, since they come in and clean immediately after our showing ends. The lady in charge told me they had been found, and that her friend with a steel-clamp mind knew where they were.

When she called me the next day, she told me the DVDs were not there. I asked where they had been put, and she said that her friend had put them in a custodian closet which only the staff had access to. From there, she gave me two suggestions:

1. The staff did not lock up the closet
2. Maybe her friend had left them in the room, knowing we would be back a week later.

The first seems very negligent on their part, the second contradicts with her earlier statement that her friend had taken them and put them away safely. I filed a report with the campus police, and the officer phoned me yesterday and explained that he had told the staff that if any of them were holding information, they needed to tell him before "things went any further."

The case had over 40 DVDs in it, a total worth of approximately $1,050. My question is this: If the case isn't found, do I have the right to file a claim against the staff? If so, on what grounds? Is it negligence in case the closet was left unlocked for anyone to enter? Or if it was locked, can I file a claim on the basis that one of the staff had to have gone in and taken the case, seeing as how only they have access to it?

Needless to say, I'm very dismayed at this loss. I would absolutely hate to have 5 years and over $1000 just be erased from my life. Any information about what I can do will greatly appreciated.

-Pat

BelizeBreeze

The university, custodial staff nor anyone else has any responsibility in this matter. The ONLY person who has legal responsibility is you.

I guess this is going to be an expensive lesson for you isn't it?

PatG, as the previous posts have stated the obvious. Common sense tells you that you would be in a position of weakness under the facts as you describe them.

However; the doctrine of "misplaced" and/or "mislaid" property, places a duty of care on the finder of such property to secure it safely for its theoretical return to its rightful owner.

Here is where you will find the truest meaning and application of law.

You do have legal justification for return of your property.

You now just have to prove it.

Best of luck in this regard.

HomeGuru

PatG said:
I am a college student at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio.
Any information about what I can do will greatly appreciated.

-Pat
**A: here's what you can do; join Blockbusters or a mail order club like ColumbiaHouse and start making your selections.

HomeGuru said:
**A: here's what you can do; join Blockbusters or a mail order club like ColumbiaHouse and start making your selections.
This is not a bad idea either.

Join-up with these the very same day that you start your freshman year of college, and I can offer you the nearest thing to an absolute.

You will not be completely shed of them the day you walk across the stage receiving your Doctorate. :)

PatG

I work for Blockbuster back home, and only two more quarters until graduation. Unfortunately, most of my DVDs were Japanese animation, and Blockbuster really doesn't have those.

PatG said:
I work for Blockbuster back home, and only two more quarters until graduation. Unfortunately, most of my DVDs were Japanese animation, and Blockbuster really doesn't have those.
You just haven't worked for a Japanese Blockbuster yet....give it time. :)

You know what I always say; "Yeah ! Animae!" :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">