• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mobile Rim Service Blotched Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhnkrang

I am from Bay Area Cali. My new BMW with about 800 miles on it had a curb rash on one of the wheels.

I figured I'd get it repaired for $140. I called a mobile rim repair guy from Yelp with 5 star reviews. He did the job, but it turns out he painted the entire spoke, which I didn't even know want or know about. I quickly glanced at the rash, couldn't see it, so paid him $140 in cash and he was off.

I inspected it afterwards and saw that the paint was not straight and there were blotches.

It's machine finished so doesn't need paint.

I texted and called him and he said he would refund me my money. He supposedly mailed it a check on Tuesday, I asked him on Wednesday evening why I had not received his mail and asked him if he had sent the check. He somehow got offended and said "Are you calling me a liar???" just from questioning whether he sent the check or not. He said "be patient, it will get there when it gets there. don't contact me any longer your money is in the mail." The check still has not come 2 days after it was supposedly sent and I am questioning whether he had sent it or will send it.

Any thoughts on what I should do at this point, assuming it still does not arrive? How much time should I give him and how should I proceed? He is not returning my texts or calls. I googled his facebook, twitter, etc. and is a decently active person so I am hoping it works out but need to prepare on how I should approach this if it turns for the worst.

quincy

I am from Bay Area Cali. My new BMW with about 800 miles on it had a curb rash on one of the wheels.

I figured I'd get it repaired for $140. I called a mobile rim repair guy from Yelp with 5 star reviews. He did the job, but it turns out he painted the entire spoke, which I didn't even know want or know about. I quickly glanced at the rash, couldn't see it, so paid him $140 in cash and he was off.

I inspected it afterwards and saw that the paint was not straight and there were blotches.

It's machine finished so doesn't need paint.

I texted and called him and he said he would refund me my money. He supposedly mailed it a check on Tuesday, I asked him on Wednesday evening why I had not received his mail and asked him if he had sent the check. He somehow got offended and said "Are you calling me a liar???" just from questioning whether he sent the check or not. He said "be patient, it will get there when it gets there. don't contact me any longer your money is in the mail." The check still has not come 2 days after it was supposedly sent and I am questioning whether he had sent it or will send it.

Any thoughts on what I should do at this point, assuming it still does not arrive? How much time should I give him and how should I proceed? He is not returning my texts or calls. I googled his facebook, twitter, etc. and is a decently active person so I am hoping it works out but need to prepare on how I should approach this if it turns for the worst.
You should have done more than "glance" at the work that was done before paying for the work. That said, I suggest you wait more than two days for a refund to arrive.

jhnkrang

You should have done more than "glance" at the work that was done before paying for the work. That said, I suggest you wait more than two days for a refund to arrive.
Thank you for the wisdom, I was dumb I admit, but I was acting out of trust which looking back, was a bad idea. Some lessons learned: inspect work performed carefully, pay by credit card so I have recourse given a dispute, request refund via electronic transfer rather than allowing his suggestion of sending a check.

He did send me a picture of the check and envelope just now, then told me not to text him again or he will file harassment charges. Before this, he had been a very stand up guy wanting to work things out. After I thanked him for being so thoughtful, he is now acting like I'm a huge bother when I have been nothing but courteous in my replies.

But assuming he did not send out a check, what do you advise I do? His random defensive reaction really has me nervous.

quincy

Thank you for the wisdom, I was dumb I admit, but I was acting out of trust which looking back, was a bad idea. Some lessons learned: inspect work performed carefully, pay by credit card so I have recourse given a dispute, request refund via electronic transfer rather than allowing his suggestion of sending a check.

He did send me a picture of the check and envelope just now, then told me not to text him again or he will file harassment charges. Before this, he had been a very stand up guy wanting to work things out. After I thanked him for being so thoughtful, he is now acting like I'm a huge bother when I have been nothing but courteous in my replies.

But assuming he did not send out a check, what do you advise I do? His random defensive reaction really has me nervous.
Assuming you do not receive a check, you need to carefully consider whether you want to take legal action against the guy over $140. Any suit takes time, effort and money (albeit not much money for a small claims action). There is a chance that your time, effort and money could be for naught. You could lose in court.

You had the opportunity to inspect the job prior to paying. You paid, which indicates you accepted his work.

What you decide to do is ultimately up to you - but I would definitely give the USPS a bit longer to deliver the mail.

Good luck, jhnkrang.

Astrolink

From an outsiders view, you are a huge bother, but that's really putting it nicely. First you inspected the job, were satisfied, then paid for the work. Later, you change your mind. Then it appears you blow up his phone with calls and text messages. The business owner offers you a refund.

Your response? You wait all of 24 hours before calling and harassing him. More calls and texts. You google his twitter and facebook accounts.

"He did send me a picture of the check and envelope just now, then told me not to text him again or he will file harassment charges. Before this, he had been a very stand up guy wanting to work things out."

He is a stand up guy. You are being absolutely unreasonable.

"But assuming he did not send out a check, what do you advise I do? His random defensive reaction really has me nervous."

Why would you assume you he has not sent the check? This guy has gone out of his way to take care of you as a customer.

I would stop blowing up his phone with calls and texts. You have not waited nearly long enough for the check to arrive.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">