• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom won't let me have title to my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetp97024

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon
I bought my car from my parents. My dad has died but told me the car is mine. I have had the car for 20 years. my mom still says i need to pay for it. The title has her name and mine, but she won't give it to me. She has no records of the money I did pay, even though I have paid more than half.She won't stop asking me for money. What do I do?

LdiJ

I bought my car from my parents. My dad has died but told me the car is mine. I have had the car for 20 years. my mom still says i need to pay for it. The title has her name and mine, but she won't give it to me. She has no records of the money I did pay, even though I have paid more than half.She won't stop asking me for money. What do I do?
What kind of car are we talking about? If the car is in both of your names, how is it titled? Jane AND Jean Doe or Jane OR Jean Doe? What is your particular reason for needing the title right now?

quincy

You have had the car for 20 years?

If you share title to the car (the "and" that LdiJ mentioned), your mother cannot do anything to the car without your signature and you cannot do anything to the car without her signature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">