• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mooseknuckles

I'm located in Ontario, Canada. I potentially have a money dispute with my ex-girlfriend. I'd like to start covering my bases now just in case things do get ugly.
Essentially the problem is she owes me $15xx.xx, it is actually more than that but I let her off and am only looking for about 80%.
Upon the brake up she agreed (verbally) to pay and requested I provide her a list. Within two weeks I have done (includes exact dates and amounts, MasterCard bills are proof). All the while she saying once she got the list I would get my money, but she doesn't have it right now so she would have to pay small amounts.
Upon confirming she received the list (I emailed it as a read only .pdf) she waited 4 days to tell me she didn't agree to the amount and would be making her own revisions as well as providing me a list of money I owe her (she would just subtract it from what she owes me). It has been a week+ and I have not received said revised list, and in the mean time one of her close friends has informed me that my ex feels she doesn't have to pay and we are square.
I talked via text message with her today and she said she would send the new list on Monday (October 24th).

After she told me she would be adding her own items that I owe her (sub $200) I said that I would likely then be making revisions of my own in accordance with the actual total amount she rightfully owes me.
I informed her in the first place that I was leaving about 20% off my original list because I acknowledged I did owe her a small amount. I guesstimated that amount, but I know I more than covered it.

Now, typically (actually never before) have I made an ex settle up in this manor. But when I returned her personal items that were left at my house, she said she would pay me back for "this and that" as well while we were together I gave her money, and bought her various things under the express condition I be paid back. I also suggested that we split all expenses over a 5 month period in which she was not monogamous, she also agreed to this (verbally).

What exact steps should I be taking to cover myself in this? I will answer any questions you may have as best I can.

Thanks.

Last edited:

This is a coin toss as to if you would win; if she says you did not loan her anything and that no agreement was in place then you may find yourself on the short end of the stick.

sandyclaus

I'm located in Ontario, Canada. I potentially have a money dispute with my ex-girlfriend. I'd like to start covering my bases now just in case things do get ugly.
Essentially the problem is she owes me $15xx.xx, it is actually more than that but I let her off and am only looking for about 80%.
Upon the brake up she agreed (verbally) to pay and requested I provide her a list. Within two weeks I have done (includes exact dates and amounts, MasterCard bills are proof). All the while she saying once she got the list I would get my money, but she doesn't have it right now so she would have to pay small amounts.
Upon confirming she received the list (I emailed it as a read only .pdf) she waited 4 days to tell me she didn't agree to the amount and would be making her own revisions as well as providing me a list of money I owe her (she would just subtract it from what she owes me). It has been a week+ and I have not received said revised list, and in the mean time one of her close friends has informed me that my ex feels she doesn't have to pay and we are square.
I talked via text message with her today and she said she would send the new list on Monday (October 24th).

After she told me she would be adding her own items that I owe her (sub $200) I said that I would likely then be making revisions of my own in accordance with the actual total amount she rightfully owes me.
I informed her in the first place that I was leaving about 20% off my original list because I acknowledged I did owe her a small amount. I guesstimated that amount, but I know I more than covered it.

Now, typically (actually never before) have I made an ex settle up in this manor. But when I returned her personal items that were left at my house, she said she would pay me back for "this and that" as well while we were together I gave her money, and bought her various things under the express condition I be paid back. I also suggested that we split all expenses over a 5 month period in which she was not monogamous, she also agreed to this (verbally).

What exact steps should I be taking to cover myself in this? I will answer any questions you may have as best I can.

Thanks.
The first thing you should do is pay attention to details. The first detail you missed is that pesky little question at the beginning that asks for your STATE and also says US LAW ONLY.

Last time I checked, Ontario, nor Canada, had NOT become part of the US (unless that changed and I missed it?)

Laws and legal requirements may differ between different states AND countries. Since we don't do Canadian law here, we can't provide you answers to your questions that meet the requirements for your jurisdiction.

OHRoadwarrior

The problem you are having, is when you gave her the money, you were thinking with your other head. The agreement it made was satisfactory to you at the time. Any money you recover is found money. In the future, get a loan in writing.

mooseknuckles

Thanks everyone, I realize the distinction between US and Canada, but advice on the matter is still advice.
If she emails me a revised list, and say for example, she feels her total owed is $1000, or $800, or $600, does that then become a loan agreement/ repayment amount and I should just settle with that amount?

I guess when I receive her email tomorrow I will know where she is at.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What part of, US law and Canadian law are not the same, are you failing to grasp?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">