• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money $ and Jewelry Stole by Friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CourtneyVanDunk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Ohio

While I was out of town I got a call from an ex saying he stopped by my apartment and the back door was unlocked. He went inside and said there was nothing obviously missing but he was concerned because my "rainy day jar" and jewelry was there and could be stolen. I called a friend "Sherri" and asked her to swing by and pick up my valuables.

When Sherri and her boyfriend Jake reached my apartment they called and said the "rainy day jar" had $1400+ inside. I did not know the exact amount but I do know i had- 10 old $100 bills in a white envelope from selling by bedroom furniture, quite a few singles, $5s, $10s, $20s and $50s in a roll, a watch and a bunch (over $150) in change at the bottom. I felt good at the time she picked it up that the money was the right amount and it was in safe hands.

I tried to meet Sherri several times when I got back to town and she cancelled 5 times to meet up. Something seemed odd. When I finally got to meet her she cancelled our lunch and just dropped the jar and box containing the jewelry off in my car and rushed off. When I got home the jar had only $11 in singles and $400 in $100 bills (One was a new style bill).

My Great Grandmother's cross, my baptism cross, my gold locket and another family heirloom necklace was missing in addition to the $1000+ in cash that was gone. She says she kept it all in the attic and didn't touch it- I don't know why she had it in the attic?

I deleted the texts from that day- I thought I had a message from her saying how much money was in the jar.

What kind of legal action can I take against her to get the money back?

justalayman

When Sherri and her boyfriend Jake reached my apartment they called and said the "rainy day jar" had $1400+ inside. What kind of legal action can I take against her to get the money back?
the onus is on you to prove what was in the jar and that she took it. I don't see you being able to prove either so that would mean you would not prevail in court.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Ohio

While I was out of town I got a call from an ex saying he stopped by my apartment and the back door was unlocked. He went inside and said there was nothing obviously missing but he was concerned because my "rainy day jar" and jewelry was there and could be stolen. I called a friend "Sherri" and asked her to swing by and pick up my valuables.

When Sherri and her boyfriend Jake reached my apartment they called and said the "rainy day jar" had $1400+ inside. I did not know the exact amount but I do know i had- 10 old $100 bills in a white envelope from selling by bedroom furniture, quite a few singles, $5s, $10s, $20s and $50s in a roll, a watch and a bunch (over $150) in change at the bottom. I felt good at the time she picked it up that the money was the right amount and it was in safe hands.

I tried to meet Sherri several times when I got back to town and she cancelled 5 times to meet up. Something seemed odd. When I finally got to meet her she cancelled our lunch and just dropped the jar and box containing the jewelry off in my car and rushed off. When I got home the jar had only $11 in singles and $400 in $100 bills (One was a new style bill).

My Great Grandmother's cross, my baptism cross, my gold locket and another family heirloom necklace was missing in addition to the $1000+ in cash that was gone. She says she kept it all in the attic and didn't touch it- I don't know why she had it in the attic?

I deleted the texts from that day- I thought I had a message from her saying how much money was in the jar.

What kind of legal action can I take against her to get the money back?
I can't see you proving that "Sherri" stole anything. For all you know, it could have been the first friend, who CLAIMED that the items were still present but weren't, or it could have been "Sherri's" boyfriend, "Jake". It might have even been some mystery person who entered through the unlocked door.

There are too many variables here to point the finger at any one person as the culprit.

I trust that you filed a police report? If so, let them conduct their investigation. They may or may not come up with a suspect.

CourtneyVanDunk

I can't see you proving that "Sherri" stole anything. For all you know, it could have been the first friend, who CLAIMED that the items were still present but weren't, or it could have been "Sherri's" boyfriend, "Jake". It might have even been some mystery person who entered through the unlocked door.

There are too many variables here to point the finger at any one person as the culprit.

I trust that you filed a police report? If so, let them conduct their investigation. They may or may not come up with a suspect.

I can understand your point- Here is my main sticking point- SHE called me while at my apartment picking up the money- SHE said there was $1400+ and her bf Jake was there and counted it as well. THEY both confirmed the large amount that the first (my ex) visitor said was there.

If the money was $1400+ when she picked it up - that means my ex did not take the money. If $411 was returned to me (obvious different bills) the money disappeared while in her possession. Whether she took it, her house was robbed, her bf Jake took it etc. the belongings were entrusted to her for safe keeping.

Could I get a subpoena to retrieve the text she sent me stating the amount? There is no way I could reproduce the phone call.

Proserpina

I can understand your point- Here is my main sticking point- SHE called me while at my apartment picking up the money- SHE said there was $1400+ and her bf Jake was there and counted it as well. THEY both confirmed the large amount that the first (my ex) visitor said was there.

If the money was $1400+ when she picked it up - that means my ex did not take the money. If $411 was returned to me (obvious different bills) the money disappeared while in her possession. Whether she took it, her house was robbed, her bf Jake took it etc. the belongings were entrusted to her for safe keeping.

Could I get a subpoena to retrieve the text she sent me stating the amount? There is no way I could reproduce the phone call.

You would need an attorney - and that's assuming that the cell phone company actually keeps old texts.

Many don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">