• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natluvkris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Ok so this is a long one. I got married on 10-18-08. One of the girls at the last minute told me she wouldn't be abe to make it due to money issues. We both wanted her to be able to be there and so I told her I would give her money to rent a car. She asked for 300 bucks to pay off a small credit card and she would put the car on that and have some extra money for diapers, food etc. I said Ok. I took the 300 out of my bank account and put it directly into hers. She verbally told me that she would pay it back on Nov. 1st.

Through correspondence on myspace she insisted on paying me back. I have copies of messages saying that she did in fact recieve the money and would pay me back. She never came for the wedding. I was crushed and when I asked her for the money back she said she would give it back in time for christmas because she was broke. I notice that this girl was buying clothes and shopping, so my husband then asks for the money back via email message through myspace. It was a very diplomatic letter.

The next morning we recieve a threatening message from her husband on my cell phone He also in that message stated he would not be paying our money back. His wife also sent a message saying that they would not be paying me back because of the letter my husband wrote.. He is a peace officer with the Denison Police Department.

What should I do if anything in both situations? Should I speak to his supervisor about threatening physcial violence and should I file a small claims suit to get what is owed to me.

dolebot

Should I speak to his supervisor about threatening physcial violence
lolwut? Where in your post did you say anything like that?

In any event your recourse is small claims. I'm assuming (one of the girls) means your child - and apparently an adult, so you would sue your daughter in small claims court. Do you really want to do that?

Why would you talk to the responsible parties husbands boss?

Shoot my sister owes me a grand, lemme go talk to her boyfriends brother-in-laws baseball coach.

As far as dealing with a police officer - you would contact internal affairs. But.... WHY? What crime has been committed?

Natluvkris

Let me clarify. She is a friend not my daughter. She is not family.

After my husband wrote a letter to the wife asking for money owed, we recieved a voice mail threatening physical violence. What should I do about that? I figured I would ask both questions at once, you know a two birds one stone kind of thing. Sorry I was not clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">