• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejay721

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? massachusetts

In December 2008 I lent a friend 400 dollars to help him pay for college. The loan was in 2 payment. A loan of 100 dollars then a loan of 300 the next week. I was told I would get my money back when he receive his financial aid check in early 2009. Needless to say I have yet to get the money returned. I have e mailed him and he only said ill get it eventually. We have nothing in writing. Is there anything I can do legally? Or I should just take it as a lesson learned??

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? massachusetts

In December 2008 I lent a friend 400 dollars to help him pay for college. The loan was in 2 payment. A loan of 100 dollars then a loan of 300 the next week. I was told I would get my money back when he receive his financial aid check in early 2009. Needless to say I have yet to get the money returned. I have e mailed him and he only said ill get it eventually. We have nothing in writing. Is there anything I can do legally? Or I should just take it as a lesson learned??
Do you have proof that you loaned this person the $$? If so file a small claims case.

ejay721

well I am sure we are on video at the atm where I took out 300 dollars and gave it right to him. In the e mails he said he knows he owes me money and ill get it when I get it. But to file a claim you need to hire a lawyer?? That would probably cost me more than 400 dollars right?

Just Blue

well I am sure we are on video at the atm where I took out 300 dollars and gave it right to him. In the e mails he said he knows he owes me money and ill get it when I get it. But to file a claim you need to hire a lawyer?? That would probably cost me more than 400 dollars right?
No. You do not need an attorney for a SC case. Just bring all evidence with you when appear in in court. Watch some Judge Judy episodes to give you an idea on how to present yourself in court...;)

ejay721

Thanks for the advise.
But I know he does not have the money? So how can someone with no moeny pay me back?
And how do you go about filing a claim??

JustAPal00

That's his problem! If you win, you will get a judgement that he will have to satisfy! It will cost you a few dollars to file, make sure and bring copies of all the e-mails!

Just go to the local magistrates office. The office staff will tell you how to do it!

Antigone*

That's his problem! If you win, you will get a judgement that he will have to satisfy! It will cost you a few dollars to file, make sure and bring copies of all the e-mails!

Just go to the local magistrates office. The office staff will tell you how to do it!
Nanny says...

This OP is going to be no closer to getting his money if he wins the lawsuit tomorrow than he is today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">