• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money owed with txt messages as proof.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iamelektro

This comes from the state of Iowa.

Hello, I recently separated from my girlfriend of 7 months. Out of trust, I had allowed her to borrow money to pay for about half of her laptop (about $300) and let her use a cell phone in my name (the phone itself was about $150). After some personal circumstances, we split. When later, asking about the money owed, I was told I would never see any of it again. Later, I was told I would have it all paid back and my phone returned. Later, I was told I would never see it again, the loop continues etc... After pursuing, very calmly, this money, I was finally threatened by her, saying she was reporting me to the police for harassment and defaming she was in communications with a lawyer. I do not know if this is true, or simply an intimidation tactic. If needed to be, I would like to know if I would be able to state a case against her. I have receipts in my name of the purchase of the laptop and cell phone, both with my own credit card, and text messages sent via cellular phone and Email confirming that she borrowed the money for the laptop and cellular phone with intentions to pay back, used the cellular phone with intentions to pay for the minutes used and the phone itself. Also, as far as I am currently aware, she is in possession of the laptop and cellular phone.
I am currently not communicating with her on a personal level because I do not know very much about harassment laws, and since as of yesterday she did finally tell me never to talk to her again, I do not want to cross that line.
Other information that may be relevant: She has publicly said and posted slanderous remarks against me (possible defame counter sue?). She is an illegal immigrant from Mexico.
This is my first post, thank you for any time considered responding to this.

You need to file a small claims action, and bring every piece of evidence you have to court, to show you are owed the money. If you intend to succeed, please leave out the part that she is an Illegal, as the mere statement in front of the Judge for such will show the Judge that you are attempting to prejudice him/her against the Respondent.

Go in, state your claim, get money. (well really just a judgment. actually ever seeing the money will be another thing.)

tranquility

I would not rely on txt messages as proof without an attorney. A lot of discovery would need to go on before any such thing would be admitted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">