• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Monthly Payment Amount (Ex-gf)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NoDoubt

Ohio

I dated a girl for almost two years. She had an apartment that she shared with a roommate. After we got serious, she moved her bed and most of her things into my apartment while still paying rent on her room at her own apartment until the lease was scheduled to let out. This lasted about 6 months.

I was layed off from my job and she helped me with some finances while unemployment covered the rest, until I could get another job. Additionally, we went to look for a new car for her and we saw one that I liked as well. She urged me to try and get it and I wasn't sure because my credit wast still bad. I eventually agreed to try and couldn't get it w/o a co-signer. She co-signed for me at her insistance on the car.

After we broke up, she wanted me to re-pay her for the things she helped me with. I felt that was fair, I would re-pay her for things she paid for on my behalf. We had a conversation about it and I told her that I would pay her what I could each month. I told her I would try and send her $500 a month, but because that was a lot of money, I wasn't sure how long I could sustain $500 a month. I assured her however that the minimum amount would not drop below $250. She was fine with that. I had been sending $500 a month each month and never missed a payment. I can no longer afford to send her $500 a month and the past two months I have been sending her $250 checks.

Recently, she sent me an e-mail threatening to take me to court because she wanted $500 a month so that the money could be paid off sooner. Additionally, she also demanded I get the car fully in my name. My credit is improving but I can not get the car in my name yet. I have not missed any payments on the car either. I'm fully in-line with all payments.

She wants the car out of her name and wants an increase in the monthly amount that I send her or else she'll take me to court. What are my options?

Thanks.

seniorjudge

NoDoubt said:
Ohio

I dated a girl for almost two years. She had an apartment that she shared with a roommate. After we got serious, she moved her bed and most of her things into my apartment while still paying rent on her room at her own apartment until the lease was scheduled to let out. This lasted about 6 months.

I was layed off from my job and she helped me with some finances while unemployment covered the rest, until I could get another job. Additionally, we went to look for a new car for her and we saw one that I liked as well. She urged me to try and get it and I wasn't sure because my credit wast still bad. I eventually agreed to try and couldn't get it w/o a co-signer. She co-signed for me at her insistance on the car.

After we broke up, she wanted me to re-pay her for the things she helped me with. I felt that was fair, I would re-pay her for things she paid for on my behalf. We had a conversation about it and I told her that I would pay her what I could each month. I told her I would try and send her $500 a month, but because that was a lot of money, I wasn't sure how long I could sustain $500 a month. I assured her however that the minimum amount would not drop below $250. She was fine with that. I had been sending $500 a month each month and never missed a payment. I can no longer afford to send her $500 a month and the past two months I have been sending her $250 checks.

Recently, she sent me an e-mail threatening to take me to court because she wanted $500 a month so that the money could be paid off sooner. Additionally, she also demanded I get the car fully in my name. My credit is improving but I can not get the car in my name yet. I have not missed any payments on the car either. I'm fully in-line with all payments.

She wants the car out of her name and wants an increase in the monthly amount that I send her or else she'll take me to court. What are my options?

Thanks.

Q: She wants the car out of her name and wants an increase in the monthly amount that I send her or else she'll take me to court. What are my options?

A: Get the car out of her name and increase the monthly amount that you send her.

NoDoubt

My credit isn't good enough to get the car out of her name yet and I can't afford to send her $500 any more on the minimum $250 that we agreed upon. I never agreed to send her $500 a month. I agreed a minimum of $250 and that I would pay her more if I could. I can't afford to pay her more than $250 a month.

Would I lose this case in court?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">