• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This morning was a very bad morning for me and i need the communitys advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Harrassment as defined http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.027.009.000..HTM

Just about 1 hour ago myself and my cousin stopped at a local donut shop for a coffee. My cousin frequents this donut shop and knows the employees. This morning my cousin and i were the only 2 patrons in the shop. We were waited on by the clerk, who my cousin is familiar with since he is a frequent customer. We placed our order and sat down. The clerk who waited on us was making eye contact with us. The clerk was also transferring a pot of decaf coffee into a larger container. I jokingly asked the clerk if she was making her coffee, in which she replied "no its decaf coffee" i responded by saying "yeah, decaf is like drinking non alcoholic beer" the clerk replied "yeas, its pointless" and that was the end of our conversation. About 5 minutes later my cousin and i went outside to smoke a cigarette and drink our coffee. As soon as we exited the doors the clerk followed us outside to also have a cigarette. My cousin and i had about 2 minutes of more small talk with her and then the clerk finished her cigarette and went back inside. Approximately 10 minutes later 2 police cars pull up, the cops get out of the cruiser and go inside the donut shop. 1 minute later the 3 cops come outside and approached my cousin and i. They asked us our names and they told me they recieved an anonymous call that i was harassing someone. The cops would not reveal any information related to why i was being accused for harassment other than it was an anonymous call. I told the police i did nothing wrong and to review the cameras inside the shop. The police went back inside the donut shop and after a few minutes came back outside and told me i could no longer go inside the donut shop but i could use the drivethrough.

I did absolutely nothing wrong and even if i did i would then be asking the community a question related to my wrong doing. A little while ago i called the police and spoke to the investigating officer, asking the officer why someone would make unsworn fslsification to law enforcement against me, and if the police would investigate why im being accused of harassment. The officer told me it was a civil matter that i needed to go and file with the magistrate.

I feel very hurt that someone would do this against me. Until you've experienced something like i experienced this morning i just ask that im not looked at as being overly sensitive. This really bothered me. Im a law abiding person, i dont commit crimes and i dont believe i deserved to be treated like this by an anonymous caller.

I would like to know what some opinions are from some members on here, because this is something i cannot let get, im pretty upset over this.

Thank you for being gentle with me, i hope that the message and question im trying to convey comes across correctly. Thank you for reading.

1. Im thinking call 911 to ask if they can reveal the identity of the caller.

2. If it was in fact the donut shop employee who had a hatred toward me that im unaware of, if she can be held liable criminally or civil?

3. Should i file a complaint with the magistrate?

4. I cant leave this one alone, someone needs to answer for why i was accused of harrassment.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Harrassment as defined http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.027.009.000..HTM

Just about 1 hour ago myself and my cousin stopped at a local donut shop for a coffee. My cousin frequents this donut shop and knows the employees. This morning my cousin and i were the only 2 patrons in the shop. We were waited on by the clerk, who my cousin is familiar with since he is a frequent customer. We placed our order and sat down. The clerk who waited on us was making eye contact with us. The clerk was also transferring a pot of decaf coffee into a larger container. I jokingly asked the clerk if she was making her coffee, in which she replied "no its decaf coffee" i responded by saying "yeah, decaf is like drinking non alcoholic beer" the clerk replied "yeas, its pointless" and that was the end of our conversation. About 5 minutes later my cousin and i went outside to smoke a cigarette and drink our coffee. As soon as we exited the doors the clerk followed us outside to also have a cigarette. My cousin and i had about 2 minutes of more small talk with her and then the clerk finished her cigarette and went back inside. Approximately 10 minutes later 2 police cars pull up, the cops get out of the cruiser and go inside the donut shop. 1 minute later the 3 cops come outside and approached my cousin and i. They asked us our names and they told me they recieved an anonymous call that i was harassing someone. The cops would not reveal any information related to why i was being accused for harassment other than it was an anonymous call. I told the police i did nothing wrong and to review the cameras inside the shop. The police went back inside the donut shop and after a few minutes came back outside and told me i could no longer go inside the donut shop but i could use the drivethrough.

I did absolutely nothing wrong and even if i did i would then be asking the community a question related to my wrong doing. A little while ago i called the police and spoke to the investigating officer, asking the officer why someone would make unsworn fslsification to law enforcement against me, and if the police would investigate why im being accused of harassment. The officer told me it was a civil matter that i needed to go and file with the magistrate.

I feel very hurt that someone would do this against me. Until you've experienced something like i experienced this morning i just ask that im not looked at as being overly sensitive. This really bothered me. Im a law abiding person, i dont commit crimes and i dont believe i deserved to be treated like this by an anonymous caller.

I would like to know what some opinions are from some members on here, because this is something i cannot let get, im pretty upset over this.

Thank you for being gentle with me, i hope that the message and question im trying to convey comes across correctly. Thank you for reading.

1. Im thinking call 911 to ask if they can reveal the identity of the caller.

2. If it was in fact the donut shop employee who had a hatred toward me that im unaware of, if she can be held liable criminally or civil?

3. Should i file a complaint with the magistrate?

4. I cant leave this one alone, someone needs to answer for why i was accused of harrassment.
The names of anonymous callers generally are not released upon request. If they were, they would not provide the anonymity needed to encourage people to report crimes or suspected crimes. Callers would be reluctant to call for fear of reprisal. This is also why reports to the police are covered by a qualified privilege which protects reporters from civil actions that might otherwise result from complaints filed that, after investigation by the police, turn out to have no merit.

Because the doughnut shop you and your friend went into is a privately-owned business, the owner can legally restrict from entry those members of the public that they wish to restrict - as long as the owner is not discriminating against a specific class of people in violation of the law.

I see no legal action available for you to take, although you can send a letter to the owner detailing your experience and requesting an explanation for your banning from the premises. You could also offer in the letter an apology for whatever you think it might be that led to the clerk's reaction to you.

I recommend you find another place to enjoy doughnuts and coffee and that you avoid returning to the other shop.

Good luck.

The names of anonymous callers generally are not released upon request. If they were, they would not provide the anonymity needed to encourage people to report crimes or suspected crimes. Callers would be reluctant to call for fear of reprisal. This is also why reports to the police are covered by a qualified privilege which protects reporters from civil actions that might otherwise result from complaints filed that, after investigation by the police, turn out to have no merit.

Because the doughnut shop you and your friend went into is a privately-owned business, the owner can legally restrict from entry those members of the public that they wish to restrict - as long as the owner is not discriminating against a specific class of people in violation of the law.

I see no legal action available for you to take, although you can send a letter to the owner detailing your experience and requesting an explanation for your banning from the premises. You could also offer in the letter an apology for whatever you think it might be that led to the clerk's reaction to you.

I recommend you find another place to enjoy doughnuts and coffee and that you avoid returning to the other shop.

Good luck.
Thank you Quincy, it looks like i will be eating donuts elsewhere from now on. I appreciate your thoughtful response, its solid advice and I appreciate that coming from you.

quincy

Thank you Quincy, it looks like i will be eating donuts elsewhere from now on. I appreciate your thoughtful response, its solid advice and I appreciate that coming from you.
You're welcome, Pennywise. Thanks for the thanks. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">