• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother disowned me and refuses to give me my possessions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PenguinLuke33

I am 18, in N.Y. state, my Mother disowned me and refuses to give me possessions such as my bed, gifts, and things like gun keys. Some of the stuff like a deer rug I have she claims she "cannot find" when it has been next to my bed for the past 8 years. Also she claims I do not own some of the things that were given to me as gifts years ago. Anyway I could get things back such as my bed or a graduation gift she gave me?

justalayman

you might have a bargaining chip here. Depending on why you moved out, mom might still be liable for supporting you. NY has this crazy law where a parent is required to support their children until they are 21 or emancipated. Depending on your situation, it might be a bargaining chip.

Dave1952

I don't think you can obtain a license, possess or carry a handgun until you are 21 or have been honorably discharged from the military in NY. There's an exemption to possess at a shooting range.
I'd think that small claims would be the place to go to get an order for your possessions. You' ll need to prove that what you want is yours. Make a list of what you want. Make a list of what you can prove. Clothes shouldn't be a problem, but furniture might. If you do not have valid licenses for firearms then you should not ask for the "gun keys".
Remember the adage "possession is nine points of the law". You Mother has the stuff and does not need to prove anything. You must prove that it's yours.
My advice is to borrow a sleeping bag and mooch off friends for a few weeks hoping this will all blow over. But don't wait too long, head to court if things don't improve soon.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">