• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moved out of California, but I need to sue former landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neverrain

I recently moved from Los Angeles to Seattle. After we (my girlfriend and I) moved out, our former landlord refuses to refund any of our security deposit. This isn't my actual issue though, I'm confident in my case.

My actual question is:

I will need to sue them in LA County, yet, as stated above I have moved to Seattle. Part of me thinks they are doing this because we moved out of state, but I want to know if it is possible for me to sue them from out-of-state without having to travel down to LA to take them to court. Is this possible? If not, is it acceptable for me to sue for travel expenses as well? Also, what happens in California if they just decide not to pay (i.e. make this as difficult and as costly as possible)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will need to sue down here. You will need to come down here. You will not recover travel expenses. As to collection of the judgement (if awarded) - well, if they want to make it difficult, it's going to be very difficult.

BL

I recently moved from Los Angeles to Seattle. After we (my girlfriend and I) moved out, our former landlord refuses to refund any of our security deposit. This isn't my actual issue though, I'm confident in my case.

My actual question is:

I will need to sue them in LA County, yet, as stated above I have moved to Seattle. Part of me thinks they are doing this because we moved out of state, but I want to know if it is possible for me to sue them from out-of-state without having to travel down to LA to take them to court. Is this possible? If not, is it acceptable for me to sue for travel expenses as well? Also, what happens in California if they just decide not to pay (i.e. make this as difficult and as costly as possible)?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Check with the OAG in the area of your prior rental.

Not sure if they take complaints there about LL issues or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">