• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving company didn't show up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronnie9580

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I hired a moving company to load and unload a UHaul truck I rented. There's an online service UHaul provides that will allow you to hire moving help so you don't have to load/unload your rental truck. Since the movers are their own companies they are not employees of UHaul or have anything to do with UHaul other then be listed on UHaul's website as moving help.

They were scheduled to come at 1pm and the moving company called to confirm the morning of the move. At 12:40pm the moving company called and said the movers are running 2 hours behind and won't be at my house until 3pm. Then at 2:30pm the moving company called me again and said the movers couldn't make it because one guy quit and the other team's car broke down.

At 3pm there were no other mover's available to help so I had to reschedule with a different company 2 days later. (The earliest I could find someone available) I got a refund for the money I prepaid for the moving help from UHaul, but I'm still out the extra money for the truck rental, extra gas to drive the truck back and pick it up again, I had a lease on my house that ended the day of the move and then I had to extend my lease by 2 days so the landlord is charging me for 2 days of rent, plus my time off work for 2 days instead of 1 day. The total is more then $500 that I'm out due to the moving company not showing up.

I've called them and they refuse to refund me anything. What are my chances of winning in small claims court? Or any other ideas?

justalayman

and when you look at the contract you signed listing off any limitations of liability of the movers you found...?

justalayman

If the contract is so written that there are dependable dates for the move, you may be able to receive recompense for the damages the breach of contract caused. Without reading it, I cannot say if it is a viable action or not though.

I also would suggest your list of costs isn't going to be fully considered either.

the worst that could happen is you lose which means you would lose the filing fees so you might give it a shot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">