• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mower repaired without prior authorization...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CTGirl2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hi,

We have a 12 yead old riding mower that needed repair work. My husband called a local garden sales and service shop about this. Soon after, the owner of the company came to oour home to pick the riding mower up to bring it back to his shop and take a look at it for us.

While he was here, we made it VERY clear to this person that we wanted to get an estimate of the repair cost PRIOR to any work being done. He agreed to our request.

That was last Friday. On Saturday morning we received a call from the owner. We were informed that the mower had been repaired and the cost would be $225 + tax.

My question: What, if anything can be done about this? He knew that the work performed was unauthorized since he did not have our prior consent. Nor had an estimate been given to us as requested.

The mower's original cost was $900 - 12 years ago. It simply is too old to be spending $225+ tax for a repair. We never would have authorized the work had we been informed of the cost.

Thank you for any and all replies...

latigo

I’m assuming that it is the present intention of the garden shop to exercise a possessory lien against the mower and hold it until you pay for the unauthorized repairs.

If this is so, go here: www.ct.gov/dcp/

Follow the links and file a consumer complaint.

FingerLakes

1st: I am not an attorney
2nd: I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Why not try some tact first? Explain to him that the repair was not authorized, you only asked for an estimate.

Then make him an offer:
1. He returns the mower to the exact condition it was prior to the repair being made.
2. You pay him a reasonable fee for what an estimate would have cost.
3. He returns your mower.

Or, you could ask him to meet you halfway. Then if none of those remedies work, inform him of your intention to file a complaint and small claims action to recover the value of your mower.

Be reasonable and respectful. Maybe the guy doing the work wasn't informed not to just fix it (I'll agree the owner is responsible for that, but its a little late now). Most businesses want to earn your trust in the hope of future business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">