• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mrs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Noelle

:mad:What is the name of your state? Florida

I had Best Buy account opened over 5 years ago with my ex- boyfriend as a co-signer. Best Buy sent 2 cards for my ex and I. Before we ever make any purchase we broke up. Few months after I bought a computer with my best buy card, I made payments for couple months and found out that my ex bought appliances on my account. I closed the account immediately. After an argument with my ex, we came to an agreement that he would keep the computer and he would make the payment for everything( $2926.64). He didn't make a payment accordingly. I made him write a promise note that he responsible to pay off the account, and I have notary witness/signed. I sent one copy to Best Buy and another one to my ex. Best Buy never respond to it but no collection agency call and harrasing again.
I just check my credit report yesterday and find out I'm having 3 claims from Best Buy from 2 different collecting agency fo the amount of $ 124, $ 128, and $ 3068.
Should I try contact Best Buy again or sue my ex ?. If I sue my ex, with the promise note he wrote and notary signed what is the chance of winning ?.( meaning I will have no obligation to Best Buy and clear my credit report). Thank you.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

dcatz

You were a co-signor. Best Buy doesn’t care about the relationship problems and now is not likely to talk to you either. On the other hand, the CA can go after you both and will pursue the asset source, if it’s one or the other. The cards should have been destroyed immediately on break-up and with a clear/paid account.

Sue the ex, collect and pay the CA. Talk to the CA. If the ex is not paying anything, you may have to set up a payment arrangement with the CA, while you go after the ex. If you don’t address the debt with them, whether or nor you feel responsibility, they may sue you first and, on the facts posts, they’ll win. That will look worse and cost more than the black marks the ex has caused to be put on your credit report.

(Now please delete the duplicate post.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">