• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwuyatta81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was involved in a civil dispute with an old roommate who sued me and another roommate of disposing of her items without her consent. The judge ruled against us, although the girl had no case and we only did what we were told by the leasing company who did not tell us she had a special extended lease. Anyway, this case happened in 2004 and I fought back by filing an appeal which did not go through because I had no money to file a brief. Am I liable to pay if she has not pursued the case further to collect from me and the other girl (she was out of the country for 3 years in grad school). I'm scared if we try to pay her now, she will reopen the case.

Antigone*

I was involved in a civil dispute with an old roommate who sued me and another roommate of disposing of her items without her consent. The judge ruled against us, although the girl had no case and we only did what we were told by the leasing company who did not tell us she had a special extended lease. Anyway, this case happened in 2004 and I fought back by filing an appeal which did not go through because I had no money to file a brief. Am I liable to pay if she has not pursued the case further to collect from me and the other girl (she was out of the country for 3 years in grad school). I'm scared if we try to pay her now, she will reopen the case.
If you have a judgement against you, that person has 20 years in order to try and collect.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

THAT makes NO sense. If you offer to pay, why would she "reopen" the case? (whatever that means)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">