• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 12 yo daughter was kicked out of dance unjustly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom23kids

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?New York
My 12 yo daughter has been going to the same dance school for 9 years. She was on a competition team for the last two years. On 4/25 we were at a dance competition in Long Island in a High school. The lunchroom was being used as a dressing room for the girls to change into their costumes. Almost all the doors were blocked by moms placing their clothing racks in front of the doors making exits and entrances impossible. There were maybe 2 ways for the hundreds of girls to leave that room. This was a fire and safety hazard especially in light of the fact that the weekend before AND the Friday night before the place had to be evacuated due to a smoke condition.
So, I told a security guard about it. He told me he couldn't go in because he was a man and he would figure out what to do about it. Apparently he went and told the woman who was selling the clothing for the dance competition company. She became all irate (maybe because she had to leave her clothing stand?) and began to yell at me and create a scene. She was saying things like "what are you talking about, whats the problem" but she was screaming. I assume she went back to our dance school and told the director that I created a scene. I actually walked away because she was embarrassing me.
The next day my daughter went to dance, came home with a letter stating that she was no longer welcome due to what happened at the competition. The letter said that I apparantly thought I was above the rule. (One of the rules is we moms are never allowed to approach anyone at the competition.)
My daughter was devastated! The recital is just 5 weeks away. She did nothing wrong and I don't think I did either. Her letter even said that my daughter was wonderful and she'll blame me for this , not her.
I want to sue for the costume she never wore and basically for breach of contract. I signed an agreement in Sept that states she would be dancing from Sept until the recital in June. So, she broke her contract with me and my daughter. Do I have a case. I am so angry that they could do this to a 12 yo child.

cyjeff

No, YOU broke the contract.

You violated a rule.

The fact that violating that rule impacted other than you is immaterial.

I don't know the circumstances... I also don't know why you didn't tell the director.... I also don't know why these clothing racks are in doorways... I also don't know why 12 year old children need a rack of clothing for any single event.

But I digress.

You knew the rules, you broke them.

cyjeff

No, YOU broke the contract.You violated a rule.

What rule did I break? I told the security guard about the blocked exits. It was a fire hazard!
You said, and I quote:

(One of the rules is we moms are never allowed to approach anyone at the competition.)
As to the possibility of a fire hazard, are you a certified fire inspector? Do you have the authority or ability to declare what is and is not a fire hazard?

Do you have pictures or other proof of this hazard?

Have you ever put YOUR child's rack of clothing in front of the door?

Did you actually tell the director of the show? What was his/her response?

Or did you just want to go into the room and you couldn't go in the way you wanted and got all dramatic?

I am betting on the last one. Someone got your spot and you got all territorial.

Lastly, it is a private organization. They can choose whom does and does not participate. You should run your contract through an attorney, but don't hope for much.

Last edited:

mom23kids

To answer your questions

You said, and I quote:As to the possibility of a fire hazard, are you a certified fire inspector? Do you have the authority or ability to declare what is and is not a fire hazard?

Do you have pictures or other proof of this hazard?

Have you ever put YOUR child's rack of clothing in front of the door?

Did you actually tell the director of the show? What was his/her response?

Or did you just want to go into the room and you couldn't go in the way you wanted and got all dramatic?

No I am not a certified fire inspector, just a concerned parent in light of evacuations (2) the week before due to too many straight irons plugged into the outlets. I think I have the ability to see a dangerous situation and the responsibility to report it to the SECURITY GUARD.
No I don't have pictures because I never thought I would actually need them. Didn't think I was doing anything wrong.
No I never put my childs clothing rack in front of the door. It's a fire hazard and a dangerous situation for all.
The director of the dance school was not present at the competition and telling the dance teachers.. what would they do? The moms blocking the doors were from other dance schools. My dance school was in the middle of the lunchroom.
I promise I did not get dramatic, I was embarrassed by the lady's yelling and walked away. I was actually nice to the security guard, I knew he wasn't at fault.
I didnt get territorial. We had our own spot in the middle of the lunchroom.

I

cyjeff

No I am not a certified fire inspector, just a concerned parent in light of evacuations (2) the week before due to too many straight irons plugged into the outlets. I think I have the ability to see a dangerous situation and the responsibility to report it to the SECURITY GUARD.
So no one saw it.

No I don't have pictures because I never thought I would actually need them.
So you have no proof.

Didn't think I was doing anything wrong.
That's just crap. You were narcing out the other parents because of some petty beef. Someone took your spot or was hogging an outlet or something else that you thought was wrong so you brought in the man.

Let's not pretend that you are all goodness and light, here.

No I never put my childs clothing rack in front of the door. It's a fire hazard and a dangerous situation for all.
So you have received your fire certification since the first sentence?

The director of the dance school was not present at the competition and telling the dance teachers.. what would they do? The moms blocking the doors were from other dance schools. My dance school was in the middle of the lunchroom.
Ah, NOW it comes out. You narc'ed out OTHER dance schools. Nice.

The dance teachers HAD the authority to intervene. You had promised, via contract, that you would not.

I promise I did not get dramatic, I was embarrassed by the lady's yelling and walked away. I was actually nice to the security guard, I knew he wasn't at fault.
I wonder what she feels about the conversation. But, again, you have no proof, do you?

By the way, did YOU have a flat iron plugged in? Why was yours NOT a hazard but everyone else's was?

Anyway, doesn't matter. You broke a rule. You lose.

swalsh411

I do not disagree with any of the responders except to say that one does not need to be a licensed/certified fire inspector to recognize an obvious fire hazard (blocked fire escapes) any more than one needs to have an MD after their name to know when somebody requires medical attention.

If one of the patrons at the Station Night Club in 03 had said something to the security guard or manager about the blocked fire exits would that have been out of line to?

cyjeff

I do not disagree with any of the responders except to say that one does not need to be a licensed/certified fire inspector to recongnize an obvious fire hazard any more than one needs to have an MD after their name to know when somebody requires medical attention.
My point was that to state that X was a fire hazard without a license or proof would mean nothing to a court of law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">