• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My breeder won't answer me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laura836450

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I had a show dog I wanted to sell. The breeder of my dog said she would find her a home for me. I said I wanted $800 for her and she told me that wouldn't be a problem. I had paid $1500 for her. She said she had a couple of people interested. We had been friends ever since I bought the dog three years ago. I had asked her if she would keep her at her place until she found a home for her. I took the dog to the breeder who lives four hours away from me. She asked me to go ahead and sign the registration papers. I normally would not sign the papers until I had the money but she was a friend and I trusted her. Well, the breeder found a home for my dog but has not sent me any money. She won't answer my emails or my phone calls nor return my messages. I was wondering if I could still take her to small claims court without any kind of documentation or proof other than my word against hers? Everything was verbal. Or, am I basically out of luck?

Thank you,
Laura

JETX

Laura836450 said:
I was wondering if I could still take her to small claims court without any kind of documentation or proof other than my word against hers? Everything was verbal. Or, am I basically out of luck?
Of course you can take her to court. If she shows up, each party will be given the opportunity to tell their side..... and the court will decide who's evidence is more credible.
I would assume that you have substantial records showing the ownership was yours (vet bills, pictures, etc.), then there would be some record of your sale to the new owners (registration transfer, etc.) that would show your ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">