• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My brothers wrongdoing on my credit report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zunkdoonk

What is the name of your state? California

In 05' I was living at my previous residence, where my brother lived as well. I subscribed to Comcast (cable) and took payments from my brother for services he used. On a tech. support visit from a Comcast representative, a blackbox was found in my brothers room. It wasnt plugged in to the wall or a TV, nor were there any active cable outlets in the room in which it was found. Since the subscription was in my name, Comcast filed a case against me for "piracy". I informed my brother about it, who then told me that since it wasnt being actively used upon confiscation that there could be no case against me (I admit, it was silly of me to take his word for it). Well, I checked my credit report recently and to my dismay I found the suit placed in collections being reported on my Transunion file.

Is there any hope in sucessfully beating this?

Is my dispute with the company collecting or with my brother?

How do I determine what type of claim this is?

Thank you now for any help or advice I can get. I really appreciate any assistance given.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

There are a few facts missing.
1. Comcast found the pirate cable box in your brother's room. What were they doing there?
2. You say you were sued ("filed a case against me for "piracy"). If you look at the notice you received about the suit, you should know what the next step should have been months ago.
3. You apparently lost the lawsuit ("I found the suit placed in collections being reported on my Transunion file") because you never tried to defend yourself. Where were you sued and how much did Comcast get a judgement for?

Is there any hope in sucessfully beating this?
Actaully, you aleady lost because you ignored the lawsuit

Is my dispute with the company collecting or with my brother?
Your dispute was with the cable company. You lost and now there is no dispute that you owe them money. Hit your brother up for the cash, but I doubt he has the integrity to make amends.

How do I determine what type of claim this is?
You remember being sued? Well go find those papers and read them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">