• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Car Was Raided While At The Repair Shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugacubez

What is the name of your state? NYC

I had my car in the shop for several weeks. At the time it
broke down i had some of my husband's tools in the trunk.
Earlier this week when i got my car, i immediately went into
the trunk & his things were gone. What was in my trunk was
a pair of latex gloves that are often used by the mechanics
at the shop.

I contacted the owner, who immediately started asking his
workers. Ofcourse they denied it. He said he was going to
question the night crew & to call him the next morning.

I believe that he's unaware of what happened, but it's his
shop, he had possession of the car & these guys work for
him. I refuse to take a loss on these things, especially
after paying a $900 repair bill.

My question is, do i have a case? I can provide receipts for
the items & i kept the latex gloves. Can he be held liable since
his shop had sole possession of the car when the things were
stolen?

BelizeBreeze

I refuse to take a loss on these things, especially after paying a $900 repair bill.
You may refuse all you want, even stomp your feet and hold your breath until you turn blue, but unless you advised the shop owner that the tools were in the trunk and the owner in turn, accepted responsibility (bailment) for them, you have no case.

If you are successful in getting a judgment for a pair of gloves left in the trunk of a car left at a repair shop, would you mind terribly much, also informing the court that I left a briefcase filled to overflowing with One Thousand, dollar bills; right next to your briefcase filled to overflowing with One Thousand dollar bills; and BB's briefcase........

Get back to me on that, would you?

racer72

And I left that winning $25 million Powerball ticket in your trunk too. I want my ticket or money!!!

racer72 said:
And I left that winning $25 million Powerball ticket in your trunk too. I want my ticket or money!!!
No, no, no, no, nooooo, racer. That ticket was and still is in MY briefcase.

Let me save you some trouble here:

racer72: No it wasn't.

Florid-aise: Yes it was.

racer72: No it wasn't.

Florid-aise: Yes it was.

{You suppose the OP is getting the idea here?} :D

mh10809

Just a reply

Hey sugacubez:

Look these guys are just a bunch of ****ing *******s. They have nothing better to do in their lives then to make others feel like idiots. No wonder everyone hates lawyers (I know I have a newfound hatred for them). I graduated from UPenn and they still made me feel like ****. So listen as an average citizen I say that you seek legal advice from someone that is reputable not these morons.

And to you guys:

Regular people come on here because they dont know anything about law. Advice is what we are looking for not your opinion, not some smart ass comments, not some dumb ass jokes. I havent seen constructive advice on here yet just smart ass lawyers making people feel stupid.

THANKS GUYS FOR REAFFIRMING THE OLD STEREOTYPE LAWYERS ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE ALL MAKING YOURSELVES LOOK LIKE ASSES.

mh10809 said:
Regular people come on here because they dont know anything about law. Advice is what we are looking for...
I agree entirely.

mh10809 said:
..not your opinion,
I cannot support your position here, it is preposterous.

mh10809 said:
...not some smart ass comments, not some dumb ass jokes.
This on its face appears a logical presumption on your part.

mh10809 said:
I havent seen constructive advice on here yet just smart ass lawyers making people feel stupid.
I take special exception and consider it to be a personal affront, based on your untested and incomplete, flawed and faulty reasoning.

mh10809 said:
THANKS GUYS FOR REAFFIRMING THE OLD STEREOTYPE LAWYERS ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed.

mh10809 said:
YOU ARE ALL MAKING YOURSELVES LOOK LIKE ASSES.
Agreed.

Questions:

How much of the OP's hard-earned money, and hard-to-find time, has been saved by having the questions answered here rather than in court?

How much did this revelation cost to recieve this valuable information?

How long did it take to recieve this valuable information once submitted?

Are you keenly aware of how law operates on a common sense, logistical, and structured basis, all at once?

Do you have personal knowledge of the OP's ability to absorb how law operates on common sense, logistical and a structured basis all at once?

Would you, in the same amount of time, be able to aprise the facts, situation, and detail an answer?

Would that answer be correct?

How would you know?

When can you tell me?

Why would I want to know? This answer is simple. I don't.

sugacubez

<< Look these guys are just a bunch of ****ing *******s. They have nothing better to do in their lives then to make others feel like idiots. No wonder everyone hates lawyers (I know I have a newfound hatred for them). I graduated from UPenn and they still made me feel like ****. So listen as an average citizen I say that you seek legal advice from someone that is reputable not these morons. >>

Thank you, you were said everything i was thinking. I've seen this behavior in
many areas of these forums & wonder why. If you don't want to answer, OR
if you find the question idiotic OR whatever your reason happens to be -
then WHY BOTHER TO ANSWER?? If i don't know the answer to a question
or feel like i'm wasting my time, i ignore it & move on.

They haven't made me feel like an ******* at all because law is NOT my area
of expertise -hence the reason why i bothered to ask the question. If anything they just show their own character flaws (Who would ever want to know people like them??). For the record, he didn't say he was responsible, but he never said he wasn't -that in itself is enough to make me pursue it. His guys stole my husband's stuff & we will get satisfaction one way or the other. But that doesn't excuse the jerks i've just encountered.

I asked a few questions in another area & the people were very direct & very helpful. Why? Because they realize, hey she's just asking a Q & if i'm
going to choose to answer, it will be because i actually want to help -not because i'm an ******* looking to **** with people because i'm an obviously MISERABLE human being. So **** Them. :D

Thanks again for being the one person who wasn't a ****ing *******.
Have a good one.
S.

sugarcubez sez the following;

sugacubez said:
They haven't made me feel like an ******* at all because law is NOT my area of expertise -hence the reason why i bothered to ask the question.

And again,
I asked a few questions in another area & the people were very direct & very helpful. Why? Because they realize, hey she's just asking a Q & if i'm going to choose to answer, it will be because i actually want to help -not because i'm an ******* looking to **** with people because i'm an obviously MISERABLE human being. So **** Them. :D

and then again further;
Thanks again for being the one person who wasn't a ****ing *******.
Have a good one.
S.
mh10809 sez;

mh10809 said:
I havent seen constructive advice on here yet...
Now you have.

Florid-aise sez;

I rest my case.

sugacubez, you are very welcome.

BelizeBreeze said:
You may refuse all you want, even stomp your feet and hold your breath until you turn blue, but unless you advised the shop owner that the tools were in the trunk and the owner in turn, accepted responsibility (bailment) for them, you have no case.
Oh, brother. Almost too stupid of an answer to deserve a rebuttal.

By your absurd reasoning, mechanics can just steal anything they want from a car or truck if the shopowner isn't advised that items are in the vehicle.

If he can convince a court that he had tools in the trunk that were stolen, then yes, of course, he can win the case. The problem is proving that will be very, very difficult.

Last edited:
Rhubarb297 said:
The problem is proving that will be very, very difficult.
Would it now appear that you yourself are concurring with the "common sense" portion of law itself;

while simultaneously, BelizeBreeze has shown the strucure law requires?

Five to twenty additional years of successfully completed secondary education will permit you the necessary foundation to answer that question.

Good luck, we will wait right here.

BelizeBreeze

Rhubarb297 said:
If he can convince a court that he had tools in the trunk that were stolen, then yes, of course, he can win the case. The problem is proving that will be very, very difficult.
And you are still showing your ignorance. Where is the bailment? Where is there proof that he informed the shop owner there were tools in the trunk and where is the proof that the shop owner accepted responsibility for such.

Once again rubbut you know absolutely nothing about the lay of bailment nor for that matter, any law at all.

mh10809

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are so miserable it is entertaining.

I have just gone through so many of these and it is good reading.

UGH......guys come on you are such low lifes. Did you guys have to take a Pontificating 101 class in Law School? Im trying to remember if they taught that at UPenn Law. Come on how did you guys learn to answer questions while showing your ass at the same time. Because boy you guys are sure good at it.

GOD GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!! Your all watching way too much Judge Judy.

badapple40

Belize is correct, while there is a bailment for the car itself, there is not for the contents, unless you have a receipt or can otherwise the garage owner had knowledge that the tools were there.

If, for the sake of argument, you could establish that, then I'd think you would have good grounds to sue for bailment, which creates strict liability.

You might, however, be able to sue for negligence or conversion. Perhaps you can argue that the owner negligently supervised his employees, in light of the fact that they were able to steal the tools.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">