• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was my car towed illegally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mdhaynes67

I was visiting my boyfriend in Philadelphia and parked in a private lot next to his house because I had several bags with me. I was on my way out the door about 10 min later and noticed a tow truck parked next to my car and 2 individuals, 1 trying to open it and the other taking pictures of it. As I was walking to the car the driver immediately backed up and dropped his boom to block my car in the lot. The car was never attached to the tow truck. I asked what was going on and he stated that all unauthorized vehicles will be towed after 7. The sign didn't say that however. The sign said after the authorized amount of time nor time frame. I didn't think 10 min was an issue. I called the police and spoke to the manager of the towing company while I waited. He tried to bargain with me saying I can pay half. I declined his offer. After 2 hours the police arrived and said I was stopping that man from doing his job. Because the sign didn't give a time he can tow me. I ended up paying $175 and an extra $10 because I used my credit card. From what I gathered I was supposed to receive a ticket first in Philadelphia and the towing cost can't exceed $150 either. I can't really find any regulations for private lot towing in Philadelphia.

quincy

I was visiting my boyfriend in Philadelphia and parked in a private lot next to his house because I had several bags with me. I was on my way out the door about 10 min later and noticed a tow truck parked next to my car and 2 individuals, 1 trying to open it and the other taking pictures of it. As I was walking to the car the driver immediately backed up and dropped his boom to block my car in the lot. The car was never attached to the tow truck. I asked what was going on and he stated that all unauthorized vehicles will be towed after 7. The sign didn't say that however. The sign said after the authorized amount of time nor time frame. I didn't think 10 min was an issue. I called the police and spoke to the manager of the towing company while I waited. He tried to bargain with me saying I can pay half. I declined his offer. After 2 hours the police arrived and said I was stopping that man from doing his job. Because the sign didn't give a time he can tow me. I ended up paying $175 and an extra $10 because I used my credit card. From what I gathered I was supposed to receive a ticket first in Philadelphia and the towing cost can't exceed $150 either. I can't really find any regulations for private lot towing in Philadelphia.
I love Philadelphia parking. You almost always need to add onto any quick 10 minute trip at least an extra half hour to allow for circling the blocks searching for an open space. One thing you learn rather rapidly, though - if you don't have a parking permit, you do NOT park in a private lot. It is too bad your boyfriend didn't warn you about parking (or at the very least help you with your bags ;)).

Here is a link to the Philadelphia parking laws: http://www.philapark.org/laws-enforcement/

Mdhaynes67

I understand the whole private parking is bad concept. The people that live in the building take every parking spot on the street so I would've had to have parked over a block away only to go straight back to my car because I had other things to do. For as long as he's been there we've never seen more than 1 car parked in the lot so neither thought it was an issue especially for 10 in. From what I gathered the fee can't exceed $150 and I should've been given a ticket prior to a tow. I also didn't think a tow truck driver is allowed to literally block your car so it can't be moved especially if it wasn't attached.

quincy

I understand the whole private parking is bad concept. The people that live in the building take every parking spot on the street so I would've had to have parked over a block away only to go straight back to my car because I had other things to do. For as long as he's been there we've never seen more than 1 car parked in the lot so neither thought it was an issue especially for 10 in. From what I gathered the fee can't exceed $150 and I should've been given a ticket prior to a tow. I also didn't think a tow truck driver is allowed to literally block your car so it can't be moved especially if it wasn't attached.
Your car wasn't actually towed, was it? Didn't you and the tow company come to an agreement while your car was still in the parking lot?

The fee for towing depends on the size and weight of the vehicle. It can exceed $150.

The tow truck can legally block your illegally parked car.

quincy

Perhaps what is contained in the Philadelphia Code can clarify this for you, Mdhaynes (although it could also possibly work to further confuse):

https://law.resources.org/pub/us/code/city/pa/Philadelphia/title12.html

You can start at §12.900.

I suggest you have your boyfriend visit YOU from now on or maybe you can park elsewhere and use the public transportation. It's pretty good in Philly.

And, if you really think something is amiss, you can consult with a Philadelphia attorney. They are lurking everywhere. ;)

single317dad

The people that live in the building take every parking spot on the street so I would've had to have parked over a block away only to go straight back to my car because I had other things to do. For as long as he's been there we've never seen more than 1 car parked in the lot so neither thought it was an issue especially for 10 in.
All the quoted is of zero relevance.

There's a large cornfield directly across the road from my house. It's conveniently located (for my use). I've never seen more than 1-2 vehicles in the field at a time. I can park on my own property and still have to walk several blocks to my house. None of that means I can park in the farmer's cornfield, even for 10 minutes.

quincy

I think if people thought of a private parking lot like a private driveway to a house they might better understand why they can't park their cars in a private lot without permission or a permit.

I helped someone move into an apartment located in a row house on one of the residential streets in downtown Philadelphia. The closest parking space we could find at the time of the move was three blocks away. No part of the move itself was especially fun but the worst part was moving a large heavy antique chiffarobe from the U-Haul and down the sidewalks and then up a steep narrow flight of stairs to the second floor apartment.

I was conveniently unavailable for the subsequent move to another apartment a couple of years later. ;)

Mdhaynes67

I did find the statute. The fee can't exceed $175 in total assuming there is a $25 storage fee. My vehicle was never taken off the lot.

quincy

I did find the statute. The fee can't exceed $175 in total assuming there is a $25 storage fee. My vehicle was never taken off the lot.
A private towing company towing from a private lot can charge $175 for the tow and an additional $25 for every 24 hours of storage. The $10 fee you were charged is a credit card fee and not part of the tow fee.

Essentially, by not removing your car from the lot, the tow company saved you a little bit of money and a lot of aggravation.

Two additional notes: An illegally parked car in Philadelphia does not have to be ticketed for it to be towed, but the private towing company should have taken a photo of your car sitting in the private lot.

It was an expensive lesson in parking in Philly for you, huh? Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities but it is one of the worst cities for parking.

Mdhaynes67

It's $150 for the tow which never occurred and another $25 storage which never occurred and at least according to this statute I can't be charged any additional fees which I was with the additional $10. This year it was also passed with only one vote opposing stating that a ticket must be given first. I found the reference leading to the exact statute on South philly towings website. I have to say this site was rather useless. Keyword is legal advice but instead it was an opinion of if it's morally responsible to park in a private lot that is funded by community tax dollars lol. Honestly I don't care and I have no regard in doing it again but if my car is going to be towed it better be done right. This was the furthest from a legal site I've ever seen lol.

Just Blue

It's $150 for the tow which never occurred and another $25 storage which never occurred and at least according to this statute I can't be charged any additional fees which I was with the additional $10. This year it was also passed with only one vote opposing stating that a ticket must be given first. I found the reference leading to the exact statute on South philly towings website. I have to say this site was rather useless. Keyword is legal advice but instead it was an opinion of if it's morally responsible to park in a private lot that is funded by community tax dollars lol. Honestly I don't care and I have no regard in doing it again but if my car is going to be towed it better be done right. This was the furthest from a legal site I've ever seen lol.
Just wow**************......

:(

quincy

Haha. Especially since Mdhaynes is wrong. :)

It is a shame I provided all of the links to the current laws for her benefit.

But, I can't argue with an unnamed South Philly "towings website" of unknown vintage. If Mdhaynes wants to argue her towing fee, I guess she will have to do it in court.

I secretly hope she hires an attorney to assist. I know a few attorneys in that area who could use the extra bucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">