• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my dogs surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

u-dub

What is the name of your state?

Washington

Hello, I am new to this board and am in need of some good advice. My dog had surgery on Thursday to get her anal glands removed. There was no pre-opperation briefing from the vet as to any possible side effects. They only told me after the surgery to keep the elizabethian cone I purchased around her neck and nothing else (like restrict her activity or keep her in a crate until she heals). Anyway, the surgery did not go as planned as they had to make an incision close to the rectum. On Saturday the incision opened up and I brought her back in to the vet on Monday. The vet said she was not responsible for the sutures coming undone. She then proceeded to tell me that I would have to pay her for an additional anesthesia cost, labor for another stich job, and a boarding fee for two days to fix the problem. I went ahead and had them fix the problem because the comfort of my dog is most important. I had the vet fax me all the paperwork just to see if I signed something that says I assumed responsiblilty for any post-op complications. I did not. I guess what I am asking is do I have a legitement claim against the vet? Is it not their responsibility if I followed their protocol and the suture came undone for them to fix the problem without me being financialy responsible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn.

JETX

u-dub said:
I guess what I am asking is do I have a legitement claim against the vet?
No, you don't.

Is it not their responsibility if I followed their protocol and the suture came undone for them to fix the problem without me being financialy responsible?
Gray area.
Here is your problem:
If you were to try to pursue this, I bet that the vet will have a different version of events, claiming (rightly or wrongly) that you WERE advised of post-operative procedures. Further, your assumption that the rules of 'notice' for humans applies to animals, won't fly.
Pay the bill.

You might try sending the vet a very nice letter detailing your concerns and asking him if he can help you out on the finances. If he does, great. If not, take this situation into consideration next time you have to get vet services

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn.[/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">