• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex won't give me back my things!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecesp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Okay Long story short.
I lived in KY but I went to visit my mother for a few months, while I was gone my now EX boyfriend managed to lose our apartment claimed he got evicted for "no reason". HE moved our things to his friends house and I have not gone back since. I told him to send me my belongings like my but he refuses to. I have my bank statements where it clearly shows I paid for those things. He also has my Birth Certificate and S.S card which I've asked him to send to me and he wont.
Also owes me 1,500 dollars which he said he would pay by the end of December but didn't. Since then he hasn't called nor emailed me anything. I can't contact him , I don't know what to do.
He owes me for the Car he also manage to get stolen which was 2,500 I paid for myself. And 300 he stole out of another bank account that was mine.
What can I do? This boy owes me all of my things but won't give them back.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Okay Long story short.
I lived in KY but I went to visit my mother for a few months, while I was gone my now EX boyfriend managed to lose our apartment claimed he got evicted for "no reason". HE moved our things to his friends house and I have not gone back since. I told him to send me my belongings like my but he refuses to. I have my bank statements where it clearly shows I paid for those things. He also has my Birth Certificate and S.S card which I've asked him to send to me and he wont.
Also owes me 1,500 dollars which he said he would pay by the end of December but didn't. Since then he hasn't called nor emailed me anything. I can't contact him , I don't know what to do.
He owes me for the Car he also manage to get stolen which was 2,500 I paid for myself. And 300 he stole out of another bank account that was mine.
What can I do? This boy owes me all of my things but won't give them back.
The ex is not obligated to SEND anything to you. If you want your property back, go to KY and get it yourself. Bring along receipts and proof of ownership of the property in question, and have a police officer accompany you.

As for the money you claim he owes you, and the value of the car, those you would have sue him for in Small Claims court.

The $300 that he "stole" out of that bank account? Was it a joint account, or did it belong to just him or just you? If it was a joint account, or if it had been deposited in an account belonging just to him, you would need to prove that the money was yours to begin with. If the account was in your name only, and he took money out of it, then call the police and report the theft - unless of course, he had an ATM/debit card that you gave him, along with permission to withdraw from that account. In that case, you would have to prove he didn't have authorization to use the card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">