• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Hubby's Recliner destroyed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arkytami

I live in Arkansas. I purchased a recliner to surprise my hubby. The furniture store that I bought it had two men load it on to my truck while I was paying. I went out and they told me to have a good day and was gone. I noticed that the recliner was not secured with any rope but I have never hauled furniture so I assumed these gentlemen knew how heavy it was and that it would ride securely. Hindsight is 20/20 but I thought as a furniture store, that they would surely know how to load furniture. I was about 2 miles from the store when it started rocking and just rocked right over the tailgate of my hubby's truck. Thank God there was no one following close behind or they would have had a horrid accident. Two men stopped and helped me load what was left of it back in the truck. They told me that any furniture store man would have known to tie it in and that I should return it. I immediately took it back and was told that the owner would have to make the call on their liability. I called them when I arrived home and they said the owner said, he was sorry but it was my problem. I was terribly hurt by this because due to a heart disease I am disabled so what might seem like a small amount to him is a whole check for me. Do I have grounds to take them to small claims court? I am so upset right now that I have had to take my nitro pills due to all of this, so I don't know if i'm being blind about it but I when I go to a tire shop for tires, I trust the man to put all the lug nuts on, when I go to the drug store, I trust the druggist in what dosage he types on bottle. I just believe that if they have men working in their store to load these things for the customer then they should be somewhat responsible for how they load it. Could someone please advise me as to what I should do.

Thanks so much in advance, Tami :confused:

H

hexeliebe

Sorry Tami, looks like the only thing hubby is going to recline on is the couch. You had a responsibility to ask if the chair was secure, to secure it with rope or other tie-down or to at least ask for such.

The store, if it agreed to 'load' the chair, had only that responsibility, unless they told you something different, which I doubt.

By the way, lug nuts on wheels is not the same thing. There is an inherent duty of safety for the mechanic when he repairs a wheel or tire to make sure the tire and wheel are replaced correctly which includes tightening the lugs. Loading a chair into the bed of a truck has nothing to do with safety of the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">