• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my landlord doesn't give me the exact apt on the lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catoo

I lived in PA, I was looking for an apt in May and have an agreement with the representitive to rent apt. 30 starting from Aug 1st. (no official lease, we emailed each other, thank God I still keep that email). She took my 1-month-rent deposit and $35 for credit checking and made a record for me.

But on July 31th, when I came to get the key and sign the offical lease, I found the management changed the representitive, and he told me he rent out apt. 30 and the tenent would move out on Aug 7th, he said he need about half a month to clean that apartment. He want to let me have another one, which is exactly pn the garage, which is very bright(the garage light is exactly before my window) and noisy. I told him I refused to live there, so we agreed to sign a lease on apt. 30, but I need to stay at the noisy apt till Aug 26th.

However, till now I haven't got the key for apt 30. It has been one and half months. The representitive is always cheating on me, he always said" they are working on it, it will be done on friday" "They are working on it, it will be done next monday" "I think it will be done soon"....I tried to believe him, but all his promise never became truth, I had to reschedule with Comcast several times, I am really sorry to Comcast. And today when I was angry, he said " you can leave if you don't want to stay"

I couldn't sleep well, I couldn't stand that bright and noisy apartment anymore. But since I gave them the deposit, and I paid about $200 to move there. If I sue them to the smallclaim court ,usually could I get my 1-month-rent deposit back? Is there a way to make them pay for their fault? How much should I pay to have a lawyer? I really know nothing about this kind of cases.

Thanks a lot for your kindly help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">