• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My laptop or his?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unexpected

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My ex boyfriend gave me a laptop for x-mas while we were living together. He decided yesterday to cheat on me and tell me he wanted to be with his "other" girlfriend. He then immediatly told me that I could have my son but not the computer. I am in nursing school and use it frequently for that. It was a gift ( his g-mas and my whole family can attest to that) and I took it when I moved out all my belongings. Legally, is it mine to keep?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If he "gave" you the laptop as a Christmas gift, then it's yours.
If he "gave" you his laptop to use during your classwork, then he may or may not have a valid claim, and it would need to be decided in court.
If he "loaned" you the laptop, then give it back.

Simple, huh?

unexpected

If he "gave" you the laptop as a Christmas gift, then it's yours.
If he "gave" you his laptop to use during your classwork, then he may or may not have a valid claim, and it would need to be decided in court.
If he "loaned" you the laptop, then give it back.

Simple, huh?

Perfect then. B/C it WAS a gift. Thanks.

BL

He then immediatly told me that I could have my son but not the computer
Amazing what an electronic will do to a person !! :D

Just make sure if he sues you , you bring your witnesses to court with you ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">