• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbor shot a hole through my bedroom wall....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

csipple1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Califrornia

I live in an apartment complex where my neighbor and I share a bedroom wall. According to the police, he was cleaning a rifle in his bedroom when the gun accidentally discharged. The bullet traveled through my wall while I was laying in bed watching television. The bullet passed three feet from where I was laying and exited through the opposite wall. I was not sure if there had been a homicide, suicide, or just an accidental shooting. The individual responsible did not alert the police nor did he make any attempt to ascertain whether anyone in my apartment had been injured. Shortly after the gun discharged, he and his girlfriend left for several hours. The police broke down their door to find a roomate alone in their second bedroom playing video games. The roomate claimed to be unaware of any gunshot and stated that the individual responsible had not mentioned anything to him about the gun accidentally discharging. If you get in a car accident and flee the see it is a crime. Is the same true in this case? Do I need to seek legal representation in the matter?

justalayman

leaving does not increase his crimes and I see no reason you would need a lawyer. At most, you are a witness to the gun being fired.

justalayman

Actually, Just he did not see the neighbor do anything at all, unless he can see through walls.

Did I say he was a witness to WHO fired the shot?

I don't think so;)

He can attest to a gun being fired though, or at least what he believed to be a gun being fired and with the bullet holes, it would tend to support his belief it was actually a gun being fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">