• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My roommate owes me too much money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roommate

What is the name of your state? Massachussetts

I fronted the money for first and last months rent for my 2 roommates back in September of 2004. My one roommate has since paid me, but the other keeps postponing. She now owes me $1100. We agreed for her to pay my rent monthly, to which she said she could only pay half of it a month. I believed her until our landlord called saying her 2 checks for Jan and Feb bounced and he's sending us an eviction notice! I told her of this as she never returns his calls and she pretended to be schocked. SHe sent in the money to him, but still owes money for the bounced checks, $25 per check. SHe won't return my calls and is staying with her mother now. My problem is that I don't have anywhere in writing that she owes me this money. Should I furnish a statement for her to sign? HOw do I go about getting my money back when all I want to do is get a new, reliable roommate? ON top of all this, we owe household bills to which she has yet to pay for. Still, I'm fighting for my money and I fear I'll never see it again. Any advice is appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">