• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My roommate's cat destroyed my $1500 laptop. Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StupidCat

I live over in Michigan.

Long story short, my roommate's cat knocked a glass of wine onto my laptop and completely destroyed the internals. She giggled and is refusing responsibility in the incident. Since the cat is her responsibility and it destroyed my property, can I make her pay for the damage? I'm at a loss here.

Also, It was my glass of wine that I was in the process of drinking. I had moved the laptop and wine away from the area the cat normally frequents. (She tends to hang out in the front room, I moved to the dining room.) I was sitting there when it happened. She jumped up, headbutted the glass, and ran away.

I'm just curious because I own a puppy, and she told me that if he were to ever ruin anything, she'd make us pay. Of course, she won't pay for anything her cat has destroyed.

Is this worth taking her to small claims court over, or do I not have a case?

tranquility

I think you have what is known as an accident. While a good roommate might take on some responsibility, the law does not require cat owners to prevent cat-harm. (At least on your facts.)

For the roommate to be liable, she had to do something wrong. What did she do wrong?

StupidCat

Hm.. fair enough I guess.

So, hypothetically speaking, if my puppy were to get to something of hers and chew it up, would she be able to make me pay for it? Once again, I'm just curious, because she has threatened me with this multiple times. I just don't see how it would be alright for her pet to destroy something and her not be liable, but if my pet did, I'd be held responsible.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've got a cat loose in the house, yet you set a glass of wine down next to a $1,500 computer. Really?

tranquility

It would depend on your duty. If your puppy has a habit of chewing things, maybe. If the item was in a place you are not allowed, maybe. But, we'd have to know the facts to be sure.

Here, however, is something completely different. The cat didn't destroy anything. The wine did. The wine you put near the computer.

BL

You already knew there was a chance this could happen as you moved the laptop and wine to another area.

You were negligent .

latigo

Hm.. fair enough I guess.

So, hypothetically speaking, if my puppy were to get to something of hers and chew it up, would she be able to make me pay for it? Once again, I'm just curious, because she has threatened me with this multiple times. I just don't see how it would be alright for her pet to destroy something and her not be liable, but if my pet did, I'd be held responsible.
I’ve done a fairly exhaustive research on the subject (10 minutes at least) and as far as I can tell the jury is out (so to speak) as to whether cats (unlike dogs) are capable of committing social blunders.

Therefore it would seem to follow that if cats can do their thing without fear of social retribution so be it with the cat owner. Then of course when it comes to cats it is debatable as to which is which.

anearthw

The cat probably had intent. I've never met one that wasn't plotting my demise, evil creatures they are.

Anyways, it is poor judgment to put an open glass of liquid next to a computer. If you put a delicious slipper next to a puppy and the puppy chewed it, that is poor judgment on the part of the human. If you leave scissors out in a room where a toddler is roaming, again, adult's fault.

Sorry, I don't think you have a SC case. And she probably wouldn't either for your puppy unless she let the puppy into your room and it broke into your closet and intentionally chewed the slippers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">