• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My school is ripping me off!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

poophead21

Colorado-
I'm a college student with a problem that I think may warrant legal action. The first week of this semester (spring 2003), it was announced that a few of the degree programs offered by the school were to be dropped. My program of study, art, was one of those that was to be cut. The school has since then fired all on-staff art professors, and our department chair is leaving in August when his conract expires. After hearing this news, I immediately began to transfer to another school. My current school is refusing to refund my tuition this semester because they are bringing in part-time/substitute teachers in to finish our remaining classes. They claim that since they are bringing in alternate teachers to finish our degrees, the only reasons we're leaving the school are personal and not the school's fault. I believe that the program has been compromised to an unsatisfactory level, and that I should be eligible for a tuition refund, especially because they announced this to us the first week of classes after we had already registered and payed for school! It's not fair for them to take our money, announce that they're dropping our program and then expect us to stay when they fire all the staff! Do I have a legal case? I don't know much about law and would appreciate any advice or information I could get. Thanks!

JETX

"It's not fair for them to take our money, announce that they're dropping our program and then expect us to stay when they fire all the staff! Do I have a legal case?"
*** It may not be 'fair', but from your post, they are providing sufficient teaching staff to complete their contractual obligation to you. You may feel that the staff they have provided isn't competent, qualified, etc. but unless you could prove that to a court, you have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">