• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My step dad abused me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deeray

What is the name of your state?California
My setp dad abused me sexually and emotionally when I was a child and I want him to pay for a psychologist so I can deal with the painful and disturbing memories I have from the abuse. I am still within the statute of limitations so I wrote him a letter asking him to pay for me to see a psychologist. His attorney wrote me back a very threatening letter and forbided future contact with my step dad or else she was, on behalf of her client, going to press charges against me :confused: If I saw a psychologist once a week for approx. $150.00 a session I could only sue him for 8 months of therapy due to the limit of $5,000.00 for small claims court. My main question is, is small claims court the best way for me to go or will I need to get an attorney and go the civil route if I wanted more then 8 months of therapy?

S

seniorjudge

Deeray said:
What is the name of your state?California
My setp dad abused me sexually and emotionally when I was a child and I want him to pay for a psychologist so I can deal with the painful and disturbing memories I have from the abuse. I am still within the statute of limitations so I wrote him a letter asking him to pay for me to see a psychologist. His attorney wrote me back a very threatening letter and forbided future contact with my step dad or else she was, on behalf of her client, going to press charges against me :confused: If I saw a psychologist once a week for approx. $150.00 a session I could only sue him for 8 months of therapy due to the limit of $5,000.00 for small claims court. My main question is, is small claims court the best way for me to go or will I need to get an attorney and go the civil route if I wanted more then 8 months of therapy?
Sue him in small claims if you are satisfied with the $5K limit OR go to the full civil route if you want more.

badapple40

I'd go the main route. You are entitled to a load of damages (if your allegations are true) and I would pursue them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">