• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Vehicle Wheels/Rims Damaged By Wheel & Tire Shop - Small Claims Court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djparna10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW JERSEY

Hi,

I have a 2004 vehicle that I purchased new at that time and currently has under 29,000 miles. Up until 9/11, I still had the original tires on the vehicle and the wheels/rims were never touched/removed. The wheels were in mint condition as I always keep them clean and never hit a curb or damaged the wheels. I purchased new tires online and chose to have them installed at a dedicated wheel & tire place locally. Prior to having the work done, I inquired whether they could handle low profile tires and the answer was yes. I asked whether there was any risk of damage or scratching of the wheels, I was told no. I asked how much and was quoted $80 for the removal of the old tires, installation of the new tires I had and a wheel balancing for the 4 wheels. I said I woudl come back with the vehicle and the tires. I went home and got the car and tires and went back to the shop. I once again asked if they could do the job and they said yes. I drove over the lift and removed the tires from inside the car. They lifted the car and one guy was removing the wheels with an air compressor socket gun and another guy was starting to remove the old tires from each wheel. I was standing only 6 feet away from where they were working and although I could see what they were doing, I was not on top of them to see details. In any event they did the work and one guy asked me to go into another room to pay. I payed the $80 but was not given a receipt. I figured no big deal as maybe they would make the sale under the table. I asked whether there was any damage to the wheels and was told no. At that time I could not inspect the wheels because it was dark in the garage where the work was done and the wheels were left dirty with a brownish grease/substance which they use to make the tire slide more easily onto the wheel. I left the shop and went home immediately to clean the wheels only to find damage to all 4 wheels. One wheel had a cut on the front almost 1/2 size of the rim/wheel. All 4 wheels had physical markings of a screwdriver or tool used to pry the wheel weights off the wheel and all 4 wheels showed scratching, markings from the socket used to install/remove the bolts from the wheel. I immediately went back to the shop and called one of the guys and indicated they did damage. They looked only at one wheel and only indicated that the owner was on vacation and that he would take care of the damage. I indicated that the other wheels had damage as well but they focused only on the wheel that had the long cut. I then asked for a reciept and indicated I wanted this to show the work was done and that I came back indicating they did damage. Another guy from the shop indicated that no receipt was necessary because they know who I am and one of the other guy's is always at the shop. They really had no answer as to why the damage ocurred. I asked when the owner would be back and they initially said in 1 week. I went home all upset and the follwing week I decided to take pictures and noticed even more damage which I did not see initially because the wheels were wet. I went back to the shop and asked whether they were even capabel of doing the work and they said yes but then I said how could you have damaged the wheels. They really had no answer other than saying the machine did it. I asked if they spoke to the owner and they said yes and now said he would be back beyond the original 1 week. I once again asked for a receipt and was denied getting one. I said I really should call the police and one of the guys said it's not necessary and that the owner would take care of this but he needs to see the damage. So I had to wait nearly 10 days until the owner returned. I went to the shop to speak to the owner and he saw the damage and offered to paint the wheel that was cut. He then said how could he know whether the other damage I indicated was not there before. I said come on, look at the rest of the wheel - it's mint other than where work is performed which is at the bolts, lip of the wheels and where the wheel weights were located. I told him I wanted my wheels replaced and he said he could not do this. I then said I would call the police just to record that we had a conversation and that I indicated that there is damage and that the owner offered to paint one wheel. The police man took the info for a loss report but bottom line it's a civil case. I then told the owner I was going to sue him and he indicated that this could take some time and I might get nothing back from the judge. He said I should go through my insurance and he would then work with me on my $500 deductible. I said I'll check it out. My insurance company offered to have my wheels reconditioned at almost $900 which is a repair/paint job. According to the body shop, the wheels are not original looking and there was no guarantee I would get my wheels back. Bottom line - the wheels are not what they were. I told my insurance to hold the claim. I called the owner and told him that I would sue him. He then chose to go through his insurance and they sent an investigator to see my vehicle and wheels. She took down my story and took pictures. She said off the record no insurance company is going to replace my wheels for new wheels which I got a cost of almost $3000. She said at best I might be able to get the $900 for the cost of the reconditioning of the wheels but no guranteed. This cost did not even include a car rental by the way. Her reasoning was that my vehicle has been on the road for 6 years and no one will replace the wheels even if they are in mint condition. I await to see where this option is going.

Another note - I spoke to the owner over the phone and recorded an 18 minute conversation where he admitted damaging the one wheel in which I questioned why his guys did not say anything to me about the damage (considering it's a large cut). He said that's another story. I then asked about the markings on the wheels and he said the guy had a tough time removing the wheel weights. I said I was standing right there and did not see a struggle to remove them. I said if someone brought a vehicle with $10K of wheels, you are going to use a screwdriver/tool and not be careful? No answer. If I go to small claims court can I use the recording to my advantage?

What are my chances of winning my case assuming I provide detailed pictures of the damage? Do you think the judge will use the depreciation rule as the investigator did or will he/she say look, you damaged his wheels and you have to replace them. I don't want to hear about reconditioning.

Should I take what his insurance company offers or take a 50/50 chance in small claims court?

If I go to small claims court, should I get an attorney to defend me?

Any help here would be advantageous.

Thank you

justalayman

. She said off the record no insurance company is going to replace my wheels for new wheels which I got a cost of almost $3000.
.what kind of OEM wheels do you have that cost $3k? ($750 each)

No, you are not entitled to new wheels. They are 6 years old and have 29k miles on them. You are due some really nice used rims though.

What are my chances of winning my case assuming I provide detailed pictures of the damage?
based on what you have presented, sounds like a good chance of winning. The question is; what will the award be.

FlyingRon

My wife's Audi came with rims that run something like $850. Given the goofy low profile tires that go on them it's real easy to chew them up it just takes a bad dropoff between lanes like when they are repaving the road.

We'll never do that again.

djparna10

Hi again,

The wheels cost $600 for the front wheels and $650 for the rears as they are BMW M style wheels. Then you add in tax and the cost to mount & balance the wheels you are around $2900.

The wheels were in mint condition as I only drive the car back & forth to the gym on weekends only and park the car in an empty parking lot. No sidewalk parking and no hitting curbs. If you look at the undamaged part of my wheels they are mint. I have always been careful with the vehicle as it was my first car purchased new and chose to take care of it well. Unfortunately in less that 1 hour the shop damaged what I had protected and care for 7 years.

You Are Guilty

You have three issues to overcome.

First - you need to prove the condition of your rims prior to them being at the shop. Have any recent photos? Any witnesses? The taped conversation with the manager should help as well.

Second - you then have to prove that the shop was negligent. Again, the taped conversation should help, although it seems they just admitted to damaging one rim. As for the others, you might need another tire shop to examine the wheels and either sign a sworn affidavit saying the first shop screwed up (and describing how), or, even better, having them with you, live and in person, as a witness.

Third - you need to prove the value of the rims on the date you brought them to the shop. This might be tough. I'd get a quote or two for new OEM replacements, that'll be the high end of the range. Then see if you can't find some new aftermarket replacements, which should be a bit cheaper. Then look for classifieds for used OEM rims, craiglslist, ebay, etc. Finally, get at least two estimates for reconditioning them. (If they are aluminum, they can be repaired to factory specs. I've done it myself after losing one to a NYC-pothole). That should be the bottom end of your range of damages.

Cover all these bases and I think you have a very good shot in Small Claims.

Good luck.

PS. Factory rims can cost a fortune to replace. Here's just one of a zillion examples:
http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-SRT8-genuine/dp/B003IL9YJ6

You Are Guilty

There are a plethora of BMW forums on the net, so cruise to a few of them and print out some "for sale" ads for similar rims.

And I have no idea where the factory gets off asking these crazy prices for OEM rims. I suspect since the vast majority of OEM wheel purchases are made/paid by insurance companies after accidents (most normal people don't buy factory wheels as an upgrade), then it's just a way to get in a little old fashioned gouging.

xylene

And I have no idea where the factory gets off asking these crazy prices for OEM rims. I suspect since the vast majority of OEM wheel purchases are made/paid by insurance companies after accidents (most normal people don't buy factory wheels as an upgrade), then it's just a way to get in a little old fashioned gouging.
You don't get 'gouged' on a BMW, you get hand chiseled, by the finest Bavarian craftsmen.

djparna10

Hi again,

I just wanted to respond to some of the other helpful comments.

Luckily I had my car washed/waxed/detailed by a shop no more than 10 days prior to the damage of the wheels. They have offered to provide a notarized letter stating that the wheels were in mint condition considering they hand wash everything and detail all parts of the car. In fact, this shop has been handling my vehicle since I purchased it 7 years ago.

The shop owner has already admitted to damaging at least one of the wheels but the remaining damage on the other 3 wheels shows clearly damage that could not be caused by driving because the damage is within the bolt area or at the lip of the wheel/rim and even slightly behind the rim. He also somewhat admitted that the prying of the wheel weights was done as well as he mentioned his guy had a tough time removing them. He also stated his guys were careless. My take on this is that if his guys were not upfront about the most obvious damage to the one wheel, why would the judge believe him if he stated that they did not do the other damage.

I have pictures to show the rest of the wheel is mint, a notarized letter from the detail shop who had my car 10 days prior and the damage is clearly shown in areas that involve the removal of tires/wheels.

Can I really use the recording I taped while I was having the conversation over the phone in court? Is that legal?

Another point, because I was getting the feeling I was getting the run around when his workers said the owner was on vacation, I called his shop prior to the owner returning. Once the guy stated that the owner would be back on a given day, he stated with a laugh "one time only" in broken English at the end of the conversation. Basically saying I screwed up once. I also have that on tape.

Lastly, the owner was not present at the time of the work and could not vouch that he saw the wheels prior to the work done. The 2 guys that worked on my vehicle could barely speak English. Could this be advantageous to me and would the judge question where his guys are if they don't show up to court?

Thanks again!

justalayman

basically, it sounds like you are to the point of determining your damages. It appears you have a sound case to support the damage.

So, get a real world and supportable price for the damages and go from there.

Dave1952

I did a quick Google to see about your question on the legality of the taping of the phone conversation. I found several web-sites that claimed that in NJ only one party needs to consent for a recording to be legal and, of course, you are the one party. These sites were "unofficial".
NJ Small Claims are limited to $3000. Some judges may be unhappy with a letter from the detail shop but a notarized letter is worth a try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">