• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My X owes me $500 for a credit card I let her borrow, Due I have a case if I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Swiggs1

What is the name of your state?
A year ago I let the love of my life charge $500 worth of crap on my credit card. We had a verbal agreement that she would pay me back when she started working after she graduated college. Soon after she graduated she left me and moved to Arizona to live with her parents. She said she would pay me back. a few months went by and I hadn't heard anything about her paying me back so I sent her a letter to her parents house. As a twist of fate I ran into her at a party in Chicago where she said she would pay me back again. I found out in February that she spent new years in Chicago doing drugs. She owes me money and yet she finds the money to jet around the country.

So now I'm a bit peeved so I send her an email and she ignores it. A few weeks ago my friend made me watch and episode of Judge Mathis on TV. So I decide to take her on the judge Mathis Show and sue her for money. She didn't like this idea so she called and left a nasty message on my voice mail confessing that she owes me the money but I'll never get it because she's refusing to go on the show.

I recorded the the voice mail for proof that she acknowledges the fact that she owes me money. So then I called her back and recorded our phone conversation to which she admits several times that she knows she owes me but since I was an A-hole for trying to collect through a TV show she will never even consider paying me.

She told me that if I wanted to sue her in "real court" that I would pay a bunch of fees and lose so I should just back off and write the money off.

So now, just to spite her I want to sue her in small claims court for the $500 plus 12 months interest, and court fees.

For my defence,
I have a log of all the credit transactions she made. I live in northern Illinois and she lived 40 miles away in Chicago where the charges were made. I have copies of the letters and emails I sent in an attempt to collect. I even offered to let her pay half the debt and we could call the rest even.

I don't care if this is a waist of time! This is America and we have the right granted to us by our forefathers to seek justice when we've been wronged. It would be unamerican not to sue her. I'm also out to prove I'm not a coward and she can ad this to her existing $140,000 of student loan debt.

So do I have a case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">