• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

national grid/property damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? new york

Thank you for reading this. I will try to make this as short as possible.

My husband and I have just puchased our home and our having trouble with national grid. National grid owns property behind ours that is out of control, with dead trees, overgrowth, a swamp. My biggest concern is a pile of concrete debris that destoyed our 6ft tall, 123 ft long wood stockade fence.

My husband and I are not the only people on our street having this problem. National grid has come to my house 2 times. The first time they said "yes we will remove the pile. And they would be sending letters to everyone on the street that they will be doing a clean up of their property (cutting down dead trees) The second time (after I filed a claim for them to replace my fence) they are stating that they do not own the property , so my claim was denied.

Now mind you, I have all papers claimimg they do indeed own this property. Their denfence is" we pay taxes on lots of property we do not own". So everyone send national grid power company your property taxes.....ha ha ha.

So, I have decided to file a small claims for this because I am tired of running in circles with these people. My problem is, I know I can sue them for the cost of replacing my fence, but what about the pile of debris on their property that caused this mess? Sure I can get an estimate to remove this, but how do I get someone on their property to do this? Even if I install a new fence, it will just happen again at some point. Any ideas, legal tips?

Thank you again.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

thepenster060 said:
What is the name of your state? new york

Thank you for reading this. I will try to make this as short as possible.

My husband and I have just puchased our home and our having trouble with national grid. National grid owns property behind ours that is out of control, with dead trees, overgrowth, a swamp. My biggest concern is a pile of concrete debris that destoyed our 6ft tall, 123 ft long wood stockade fence.

My husband and I are not the only people on our street having this problem. National grid has come to my house 2 times. The first time they said "yes we will remove the pile. And they would be sending letters to everyone on the street that they will be doing a clean up of their property (cutting down dead trees) The second time (after I filed a claim for them to replace my fence) they are stating that they do not own the property , so my claim was denied.

Now mind you, I have all papers claimimg they do indeed own this property. Their denfence is" we pay taxes on lots of property we do not own". So everyone send national grid power company your property taxes.....ha ha ha.

So, I have decided to file a small claims for this because I am tired of running in circles with these people. My problem is, I know I can sue them for the cost of replacing my fence, but what about the pile of debris on their property that caused this mess? Sure I can get an estimate to remove this, but how do I get someone on their property to do this? Even if I install a new fence, it will just happen again at some point. Any ideas, legal tips?

Thank you again.

You can sue up to a certain amount of actual and direct damages in dollars in small claims court.

Start your research here:

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/smallclaims/index.shtml

Add up all the damages you think you have suffered and go for it.

So what you are saying is that you believe I can hire someone to go on their property to give me an estimate to remove this pile of debris that caused the problem. And then if I do win, then ths person can go on their property and remove this pile?

Happy Trails

thepenster060 said:
So what you are saying is that you believe I can hire someone to go on their property to give me an estimate to remove this pile of debris that caused the problem. And then if I do win, then ths person can go on their property and remove this pile?
No, he is not saying that you or anyone else can go on the proprety to remove the debris. That would be trespassing.

You can sue to get your fence fixed....

As for the debris, etc, have you checked to see if they are violating any local ordinances (blight)?

Thank you happy trails for the point of trespassing. I am fully aware of that.

Yes I have file complaints with my local "code enforment officer" and I have filled a complaint with my commisioner. Yet they are giving me the run around, saying it is between myself and national grid.

Happy Trails

thepenster060 said:
Thank you happy trails for the point of trespassing. I am fully aware of that.

Yes I have file complaints with my local "code enforment officer" and I have filled a complaint with my commisioner. Yet they are giving me the run around, saying it is between myself and national grid.
It must not be visible to the public (because of the fence?) or not enough of an eyesore for them to take action.

But if it is open and visible and violates the ordinance, keep after them. Get your neighbors involved as well.

Go to the city meeting and make a complaint to the board members (you might have to contact city hall before hand to be heard at the meeting). Write down everything and keep a good record of who you have contacted, etc...

Some Random Guy

Pay attention to what Netional Grid said or you will be blindsided in court. You seem to have property tax records showing that they paid taxes on the property. They have so much as told you that their defense will be to tell the court thy do not own the land, despite those payments. You need to look at the deeds and the plats showing property boundaries to show that they do control the property.

Good advice happytrails, thank you. I will look into that. I know all too well how my city runs. Not that it has anything to do with this matter, but I have been fighting with the city about getting a junk house cleaned up in my neighborhood. The city likes to "drag their feet".

As per the paperwork. Yes, I also had a survey on my land when I purchased my home.
I have the deed when national grid purchased said property.

I am now, as of yesterday speaking with a higher up at national grid. He is re-evaluating the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">