• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it necessary to go to small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnj6

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My cousin owes me around $230 b/c I offered to pay her way to a conference that took place in Dec. of 06. It was an emergency at the last minute but before I paid I told her that she would have to pay me back b/c I didnt have any funds in my account to cover it. She agreed, but has not paid me yet and its been almost 4 months now. She tried to make an attempt on march 19 but has been dodging/ignoring me and my calls. Because of her my account has been turned over to an agency and now my name has been reported to the checking system. I was forced to somehow pay her part and mine, even though the damage is already done. I dont know if its necessary to take her to small claims court. I feel as though if I do it will finally make her pay me back. I have a print out of all the transactions before the account was closed to show that she owes me. I dont know know the first thing about small claims court though, so I have been reading up some material. I dont know if $230 (the amount I want) too little for the claim. I just need some advice on what to do. If anyone can help me please do!

JETX

I just need some advice on what to do. If anyone can help me please do!
Go to the court, file the lawsuit and have her served. It might wake her up to your being serious. If she pays you, you can dismiss the lawsuit.
If she doesn't you (hopefully) you will get a judgment.... then get the THRILL of having to pursue her to attempt to enforce it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">