• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsal10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I have a situation, I was living in illinois about 2 yrs ago. We decided to move to texas and could not fit all our stuff the 1st time around, and instead of taking another trip my gf asked her mom is she can get your bro's to take out the stuff. She told them to get my stuff and a few things of hers and throw out the rest. Well the items that mine were a big tv and a surround sound theatre. Well i said if they can do that for us they can use the items until we go get them. 4 month later we took a visit and asked where my stuff was and the brother that owned the house the items were at said in his room so we asked if we can take the surround stuff and he said we had to give him more notice time. About a yr ago we moved back to illinois and about 2 months ago i started asking about our stuff. The bro hasnt returned any of my calls and texts. ive called him and text him every week. The last few days ive been hearing from my gf family that he said he was staying with the stuff for storage fees in which i had no idea he was gonna charge us. I read i can take him to a small claims court and my gf/ his sister and his step father are willing stand by me and say those are our stuff. Do i have a case? and what else can i do to try to get my things back? cops? any feedback would be helpful

dolebot

In order to legally hold something that belongs to you - he would need a lien on that property, and would have had to sue you to make that happen. Since he doesn't it is called stealing and it is illegal.

I would call the police and see if they will assist in a property transfer. Explain that her brother has your things, and you need to get them. Chances are they'll go to the house in a car with you and watch while you get your stuff.

Alternatively you can sue her brother. Odds are good, as long as you can prove you own the stuff - that you'll win. He has the opportunity to countersue for storage costs, but I don't think he could make the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">