• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meathead_ohhh

Rhode Island
A few years ago I cosigned for a car for my sister. Her credit was not good enogh at the time to buy the car by herself. I have debt myself due to poor money mangagement. I recently was put on a budget and found out that because my sister's credit was not good enough to buy the car, the dealership had me as the buyer. I recently got laid off. While I was laid off a collections agentsee called and told me that since my sister had a job and I did not they were going to garnish her wages and not my unemployment. I started working a few weeks ago. When I started working again, my sister quit her job and refuses to get a new job. Since the car was hers and not mine and I can't afford to pay for it, is there anything I can do to get her to help out?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pay off the car and sue her.

On a side note - I'm always amazed that people think it's wise to lend money to people who have bad credit...

To clarify: I'm always amazed that people who can't afford it somehow think it's wise to lend money to people who have bad credit...

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Rhode Island
A few years ago I cosigned for a car for my sister. Her credit was not good enogh at the time to buy the car by herself. I have debt myself due to poor money mangagement. I recently was put on a budget and found out that because my sister's credit was not good enough to buy the car, the dealership had me as the buyer. I recently got laid off. While I was laid off a collections agentsee called and told me that since my sister had a job and I did not they were going to garnish her wages and not my unemployment. I started working a few weeks ago. When I started working again, my sister quit her job and refuses to get a new job. Since the car was hers and not mine and I can't afford to pay for it, is there anything I can do to get her to help out?
**A: yes, you can take her to court.

latigo

It might help some if you would make up your mind as to which one of you bought the car and in what name or names did DMV issue the certificate of title! Yours? Your sister’s or both?

First you say that you “cosigned” for a car for your sister; then the dealer had you as the “buyer”; then finally, the car is “hers and not mine”?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">