• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauraleeghan

Missouri

At the beginning of September 2010, I left my cat in the care of my ex-boyfriend. At the time, I was not able to take the cat with me because I was moving in with my father and he would not allow me to bring the cat. The day before I moved, I offered to move my cat to a friend's house so that my ex-boyfriend would not have to care for it. He then agreed to keep the cat in his care until I was able to move to a residence where I would be able to keep the cat myself. Now, in December 2010, I am able to take the cat back. I have contacted my ex-boyfriend to set up a time that I might be able to pick up the cat. However, my ex-boyfriend is refusing to give the cat back. He is using the defense that an animal is legally considered abandoned after one month of being left in someone-else's care. He claims that, if needed, he will obtain papers to prove his case. There are no documents to prove that either of us has legal ownership of this cat, as it was a stray that I took in off the street. There are no documents stating that I gave the cat to him, but there are also no documents stating that I would be back for the cat. My first question is if he has the legal right to do this and if he will really be able to obtain the paperwork. My second question is, if he is able to get the required paperwork, is there anything that I will be able to do about it?

Dave1952

Ok, you seem to be saying that you had a verbal contract for the cat, so what's your evidence? Did you tell anyone about this deal and will they testify, if necessary? Did you take the cat to the vet after Sept? Can you show that you provided cat food? Got to tell you, if you did not go over at least once a month with bags of cat food and cat treats you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that it's still your cat.
Anyway, the first step is to call the Sheriff's Office and ask about getting a deputy to come with you while you try to pick up your property. Understand that the deputy can not order him to return disputed property but your ex-bf might be intimidated.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">