• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice for collecting from deadbeat.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FrustratedOR

What is the name of your state? OR

Get this, I have received a judgement in small claims court so now I have to collect. Here is the problem: the person is self employed, I don't know where she banks, and I don't know how to get any of that info. She owns no property to put a lean on.

What can I do?????? :confused:

Frustrated

Give your friend $40.

Have the friend mail the defendant a $20 check payable to the defendant along with a sticky note that says, "[Defendant's name], Here's your payment. Thanks again!"

Wait for the defendant to deposit it.

Have your friend order a copy of the front and back of the negotiated check (~$5?) and take the defendant's banking info off the back of the check.

Tell your friend to keep the change.

Happy Trails

FrustratedOR said:
What is the name of your state? OR

Get this, I have received a judgement in small claims court so now I have to collect. Here is the problem: the person is self employed, I don't know where she banks, and I don't know how to get any of that info. She owns no property to put a lean on.

What can I do?????? :confused:

Frustrated
Go back to court and ask them to require the defendent to come back and respond to the questions (under oath) about her property etc...

You'll have to pay for the methods you may use and fees to file additional papers with the court. Then you can collect these fees from her. Hopefully, she'll have something worth going after.

In addition, Oregon allows you to tack on interest at a rate of whatever the T-bill rate is plus 4%.

Info. site:
http://www.osbar.org/public/pamphlets/smallclaims.html

You can do a formal judgment debtor exam, but unless you're a pro at enforcing judgments, the debtor can tell you in court where she banks, walk out of the court, then go close the account. Now you've spent all that time and money on a formal exam that gained you nothing.

You might try the cheap and sneaky way I suggested first. Then if that doesn't work, try the debtor's exam.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">