• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on a friend who owes me money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dutytomitigate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I let a friend borrow $1600 in July 2013 and $800 in November of 2014 and am looking to take her to small claims court here in Texas. I can show bank withdraw slips, texts indicating several back and forth sessions where she is promising payment as well as the money she has paid, as well as a recording I have on us chatting on why she has not paid in full as of now(she was not aware of herself being recorded). Included with the texts and recordings, I have kept up with her infrequent payments through my calendar app on my phone to be used as evidence on when she has paid and what is left on her loan. She currently owes $1000 on loan loan and I would like to know if i can use all of these as evidence in court as well as what else I can use to show she still owes on the loan.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I let a friend borrow $1600 in July 2013 and $800 in November of 2014 and am looking to take her to small claims court here in Texas. I can show bank withdraw slips, texts indicating several back and forth sessions where she is promising payment as well as the money she has paid, as well as a recording I have on us chatting on why she has not paid in full as of now(she was not aware of herself being recorded). Included with the texts and recordings, I have kept up with her infrequent payments through my calendar app on my phone to be used as evidence on when she has paid and what is left on her loan. She currently owes $1000 on loan loan and I would like to know if i can use all of these as evidence in court as well as what else I can use to show she still owes on the loan.
You're friend is making payments (albeit, infrequent). What more do you hope to accomplish by suing her?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Don't lend what you can't afford to give away. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Don't lend what you can't afford to give away. :cool:
Excellent suggestion. In fact, personally, when lending to friends/family, I ALWAYS consider it a gift in my mind. That way, I'm presently surprised when I get money back :)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Excellent suggestion. In fact, personally, when lending to friends/family, I ALWAYS consider it a gift in my mind. That way, I'm presently surprised when I get money back :)
That's what Dave Ramsey recommends one do as well. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">