• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice on This Matter...Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soniya

What is the name of your state? Texas/Louisiana

I would like to know if this matter is worth pursuing in court and if I have a chance at winning. Here's the story:
I have a "friend" who currently lives in Louisiana that was in a temporary financial bind and he needed to borrow some money. He is a barber and his hair clippers were damaged and he needed to replace them promptly so that he could continue working. He explained to me his situation and said that he was going to get payed the following week and that he would pay me back then. I was a little doubtful about loaning money to him because I never like to get involved in money situations with friends. Since I am currently living in Texas (originally from Louisiana), I agreed to send him $100 via Western Union. Before I decided to do that, I told him to record a message on my voicemail stating that he would repay me the money on the following week since we couldn't do a written contract given the time constraints. To make a long story short, I went to Louisiana for a few days and we agreed that we would meet sometime before I left so that he can pay me back the money that I loaned to him. I spoke with him a few times about meeting and as soon as I mentioned the money he owed me he said he would call me back. I made several attempts to contact him by calling him on his cell phone and it goes straight to his voicemail. I believe he is avoiding me and thinks that he can get away with this.

To anyone who responds: In your opinion, do you think that I have a chance of getting my money back if I sue him or send him a demand letter of payment? Is the oral agreement that I have recorded enough proof that he agreed to pay me back? I hope I have explained all of the pertinent details. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

JETX

I would like to know if this matter is worth pursuing in court
No one can answer that for you. We simply do NOT know enough about YOU. If you make $400 an hour... don't waste your time going to court. However, if you are a burger flipper... go ahead.

and if I have a chance at winning.
Of course you have a chance.

soniya

Actually, I make someting in between that range. However, it is not remotely close to what someone would make flipping burgers. I am currently working as a Product Engineer in Dallas. I have been at this company for a little over a year now and I make a pretty reasonable salary. I would like to get my money back simply because it was loaned to him and we had an agreement. I just don't want him to think that he can get away with this. Should I just let this go and take it as a loss or perhaps consider it as another life lesson learned?

TKP2348

Letting Go

If he would have left a message on the phone saying he would pay you back then I'd say you would have a case but since that didn't happen be happy its only $100. Even though its upsetting but just remember not to do this again or if you do make sure before you had over the money you make them sign agreement. There is that saying if you know this person won't repay right away then give the money as a gifit but if you don't have the money then just don't loan to anyone anymore. If I were you I'd just let it go like I said it's only $100 and if you go to court it might end up costing you more then $100.

I'd say this person is no longer a friend. Take care.

soniya

Thanks for the advice. I do have a recorded message from him in which he states that he was going to pay me back. That's why I was wondering if this would be enough proof to win this case. I totally agree with you about the fact that it will probably cost me more than $100 if I decided to take him to court. I think I will send him a demand letter and see what happens. Thanks again!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">