• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on preparing for court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wankel

What is the name of your state?
South Carolina

I have a five month old 2005 Dodge pickup truck that sustained a 4" vertical dent in the fender that traversed a molded body contour line (the area where the fender flares out). The accident was my fault so I planned to pay out of pocket.

I took the truck to a local body shop (not the Dodge dealership, which is small and does not have a body shop) and asked the owner if the dent could
be repaired or the fender would need replacing. He said that the dent could be repaired.

I left the truck with him and picked it up after one week. I paid the bill with VISA at that time.

Upon getting the truck home, I saw ripples in the finish of the repaired area. I took the truck back. When I picked it up the second time, there were sanding marks so coarse that the paint appeared to be applied with a brush. Took it back a third time. They fixed the sanding marks but the truck now has a soft edge in the molded contour line of the fender.

I filed a report with the BBS requesting a refund for the repair, which was $540. The owner of the body shop ignored my request. I'm glad he did, because this morning I noticed that the repair was botched more than I had thought - there is also an irregular margin about three feet long where they didn't properly feather the repainting near the top of the fender.

The sheetmetal of this fender has been re-worked three times. I am thinking it may be best to replace the whole fender, which will be about $1500. I plan to take the truck to another body shop. I do not want this body shop going near the truck anymore.

Questions:

- Should I inform the owner of the body shop that that I plan to sue him before I file the paperwork for small claims court?

- How can I get objective opinions as to what needs to be done - a fourth repair of the fender or a replacement - to do the job right? Would written estimates from other body shops suffice, or would they be considered non-objective?

- The cost of the botched repair was $540. If the fender can not be fixed and needs to be replaced, can I sue for the amount of a replacement?

- Should I get an estimate to have the fender replaced and sue for the estimate amount or have the fender work done, pay the bill, and sue for the cost?

- I have taken pictures of the fender with a newspaper in each shot in order to confirm the date the pictures were made, which was after the third botched repair. Is there anything else I could do that will strengthen my case?

Thanks all

Jim

BL

- The cost of the botched repair was $540. If the fender can not be fixed and needs to be replaced, can I sue for the amount of a replacement?
If you can prove by 2 or 3 written estimates that the Cost of the Original Damage would normally cost that much , maybe , but I doubt it .

You are now looking for someone to pay the entire cost of replacement for Damage you Caused .

NO WAY .....

wankel

>> You are now looking for someone to pay the entire cost of replacement for Damage you Caused .

NO WAY ..... <<

No, what I am asking is this - if by sanding and repainting the same area three times, when it should have been done right the first time, the body shop has made it such that the fender cannot be repaired any more but replaced, are they liable for the cost of replacement?

BL

wankel said:
>> You are now looking for someone to pay the entire cost of replacement for Damage you Caused .

NO WAY ..... <<

No, what I am asking is this - if by sanding and repainting the same area three times, when it should have been done right the first time, the body shop has made it such that the fender cannot be repaired any more but replaced, are they liable for the cost of replacement?
NO .. You did damage to your vehicle . You were given an estimate of repair .

If you can get 2 or 3 NEW estimates that State the entire Bumper now HAS TO BE replaced , because of the other shops negligence , You might Possibly be awarded the difference between the first Estimate for damages ( YOU caused ) , and a bumper replacement cost , BUT NOT the entire amount .

Why should ANY shop be liable for the Entire amount of damages you initially caused .

Proof is in the pudding .

Why didn't your collision ins. cover the damage ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">