• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advise in Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sportfisher39

What is the name of your state? Washington St.
Ok, I just received an order to appear in a small claims case. This happens to be a friend af mine. About 3months ago He loaned me a ladder to wash my house. I then took the ladder to my girl friends house to do some painting. Well finally about 3 weeks ago he came over and said he wanted it back today. I told him I will get it in the next few days for sure. So I did get the ladder a couple of days later and took it to his house. He wasn't home so I put it on the side of his house.I was going to call him and let him know, But I didn't have my phone on me.I'm in school fulltime and forgot to let him know where it was at. Well now he wants to take me to court over it.
Should I tell him to open his eyes and look where I put the ladder or should I save that for court.
What if he says I never returned it or claims that it was stolen or something.
Am I screwed or what. The ladder is worth 400 dollars.
Thanks, any advise will help me

ceara19

Ok, I just received an order to appear in a small claims case. This happens to be a friend af mine. About 3months ago He loaned me a ladder to wash my house. I then took the ladder to my girl friends house to do some painting. Well finally about 3 weeks ago he came over and said he wanted it back today. I told him I will get it in the next few days for sure. So I did get the ladder a couple of days later and took it to his house. He wasn't home so I put it on the side of his house.I was going to call him and let him know, But I didn't have my phone on me.I'm in school fulltime and forgot to let him know where it was at. Well now he wants to take me to court over it.
Should I tell him to open his eyes and look where I put the ladder or should I save that for court.
Don't you think he would have seen the ladder by now if it was still sitting beside his house? Since he is taking you to court, someone probably stole the ladder.

BL

You did NOt take reasonable care in returning the ladder , pay up .

Freind or no freind , especially if you are a true freind .

sportfisher39

I have no problem paying up if it's stolen. But I would have thought he might try to get a hold of me before just taking me to court.

BL

I have no problem paying up if it's stolen. But I would have thought he might try to get a hold of me before just taking me to court.
Well , seems like you're using " a Friend " loosely .

Did you ever consider ( or slap yourself in the head ) , He requested the ladder's return for some time and YOU ignored it ?

You will lose not only 400 smackeroos but a " so called Friend " .

End of story .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">