• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advise what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eddie_242

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

I had given a loan to a friend who gave it to a 3rd person who wanted the loan. Now my friend has left the country and I doubt if he comes back. The 3rd person who took the loan from my friend is refusing to pay me saying that she never took a loan from me but my friend.

I don't have any written proof except for an email saying that she owes me.

Also she is threating me saying that if I ask her for money she will go to the cops saying I have been harrasing her.

Is there anyway I can get my money back.

Any advice

S

seniorjudge

eddie_242 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

I had given a loan to a friend who gave it to a 3rd person who wanted the loan. Now my friend has left the country and I doubt if he comes back. The 3rd person who took the loan from my friend is refusing to pay me saying that she never took a loan from me but my friend.

I don't have any written proof except for an email saying that she owes me.

Also she is threating me saying that if I ask her for money she will go to the cops saying I have been harrasing her.

Is there anyway I can get my money back.

Any advice
You can't sue someone to repay a loan you did not make to them.

That would be fraud.

eddie_242

What can I do can I sue my friend or her girlfriend (No idea where he is). The total amount is for 8000$. Paid cash 3000$ and check 5000$. State NY.

Please advise.

Happy Trails

eddie_242 said:
What can I do can I sue my friend or her girlfriend (No idea where he is). The total amount is for 8000$. Paid cash 3000$ and check 5000$. State NY.

Please advise.
You can sue the person you made the loan to. Not the third party as you did not have an agreement with that person.

eddie_242

But I don't know where that person is the only info I have is a cancelled check that I paid him with. Also can I take this to small court as the amount is 8000$.

S

seniorjudge

eddie_242 said:
But I don't know where that person is the only info I have is a cancelled check that I paid him with. Also can I take this to small court as the amount is 8000$.
If you do not know where someone is, then you cannot sue that person.

You have lost this money.

There is nothing more you can do about it except learn not to loan money unless you have the guy's **** in the palm of your hand.

eddie_242

Can I go to his previous company and get his current address or past address. Also if I do find him will I take him to small court or a High court for an amount of 8000$. Also can I go to the police and file a complain against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">