• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need An Answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raina1070

What is the name of your state? Ontario

Hello, looking for an opinion here....

I am in Ontario Canada but I would think the laws are pretty much the same on this...

I am the plaintiff in a small claims court suit, I requested a pre-trial confrence and when the pre-trial came up on March 29 the defendant did not show up. The Judge made an recomendation that the defandant had 30 days to pay a fine of 75 dollars to me for inconvenience and if he did not, his defence struck and it would then go to a damages assessment.

I called the court office on April 26 thinking it had been 30 days and was informed he had until the 28 which was 30 days. I called back on the Friday which was the 29...31 days afterwards and the clerk told me he had until April 4 which was 30 days from mailing....I said that was not what I was told the other day and she said let me second check and came back on and said I was right and to come to the court office on Monday to proceed.

I decided to go to the court tomorrow and low and behold doesn't the defendant who is also my neighbor come to the door and throw a 75 dollar money order at my hubby. I went back to him and said it is too late and he says no the court told me I have till the 4th and slams the door in my face...

The court office was closed so now this is driving me crazy. I am afraid I got the wrong answer via telephone....is it 30 days from the Judges recomendation date or when it is mailed???? I recall the Judge stating the defandant had 30 days to pay it, this is also what I read in the paper I got from the court, there is no exceptions in the order itself for mailing etc.

Hope someone can answer this and then I can get some sleep!!!

Sleepless in Toronto

Last edited:

Happy Trails

raina1070 said:
What is the name of your state? Ontario

Hello, looking for an opinion here....

I am in Ontario Canada but I would think the laws are pretty much the same on this...

I am the plaintiff in a small claims court suit, I requested a pre-trial confrence and when the pre-trial came up on March 29 the defendant did not show up. The Judge made an recomendation that the defandant had 30 days to pay a fine of 75 dollars to me for inconvenience and if he did not, his defence struck and it would then go to a damages assessment.

I called the court office on April 26 thinking it had been 30 days and was informed he had until the 28 which was 30 days. I called back on the Friday which was the 29...31 days afterwards and the clerk told me he had until April 4 which was 30 days from mailing....I said that was not what I was told the other day and she said let me second check and came back on and said I was right and to come to the court office on Monday to proceed.

I decided to go to the court tomorrow and low and behold doesn't the defendant who is also my neighbor come to the door and throw a 75 dollar money order at my hubby. I went back to him and said it is too late and he says no the court told me I have till the 4th and slams the door in my face...

The court office was closed so now this is driving me crazy. I am afraid I got the wrong answer via telephone....is it 30 days from the Judges recomendation date or when it is mailed???? I recall the Judge stating the defandant had 30 days to pay it, this is also what I read in the paper I got from the court, there is no exceptions in the order itself for mailing etc.

Hope someone can answer this and then I can get some sleep!!!

Sleepless in Toronto
Sorry, your small claims court does work differently than ours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">