• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help collecting a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

asuka07

What is the name of your state? PA

My boyfriend received a judgement in his favor in a Pennsylvania small claims court in the amount of 5,000 needtheless to say it has been almost two years and the debtor has yet to pay a dime.
I found a few sights that helped give me some information as to what to do, however they have been too vague to help specifically with my problem.

The next step I know is that my boyfriend has to either take the debtor back to court for vital information as to where they work, what they own, etc.... I know that this can also be done through documentation that also needs to be issued by a subpeona.

Now here is where my question comes into play. From what I understood a sheriff has to deliver the subpeona, correct? Cause my boyfriend called one of the local sheriffs and their secretary seemed to have no clue what he was talking about. Am I completely crazy? Or is there some other way that the subpeona needs to delivered?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

K

kbatt

Your boyfriend needs to file for an Order for Disclosure, which the debtor needs to complete and return within 7-10 business days. It basically shows where his/her assets are. If this person fails to complete this form, you need to set up another court date, and the debtor needs to prove why he is not in Contempt of Court. This notification needs to be personally delivered by someone other than the plaintiff, and you need to show proof that it was delivered. I had it delivered by the sheriff's dept. because it's much easier, and they will automatically return the necessary forms back to the courts. You might have luck with the post office, by having the person sign for the document. Unfortunately, this whole process still does not guarentee your money. YOU are responsible for collecting the debt after the defendant reveals his/her assets, not the courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">