• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with destroyed computer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taylor138

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

An ex friend of mine destroyed my laptop (don't want to get into the circumstances - let's just say he's unstable).

I called the cops and the officer said I could file a report which would possibly result in a felony charge placed on the friend, but he recommended that I try to get payment instead before pressing charges.

The friend unfortunately doesnt have much money at the moment, but he said he could pay me within a month or so and would be willing to sign some kind of written contract.

My question is this: What would I have to do to make such a contract hold up in a small claims court? If both parties sign it, would that be all that I need? What about getting it notorized? Any other details I'd need to know?

Thanks a lot for any advice that may be offered.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">