• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with an ex-fiancee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cys12373

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I was engaged to a guy for 4-1/2 years. In the time that we were together we had a joint checking account. Toward the end of our relationship he took out a personal loan for $15K. Part of it was to pay off the rest of debt on a vehicle that was stolen from him and the rest was used for me to buy a car and for him to buy a truck. I took $5K of the money and bought a car. I already had $2K put back to put with the $5K. So he never looked at my $2k as money that I was putting towards my car. We broke up in April of '04. I have continued to pay my part of the loan. There was never a written agreement on this loan and I when I bought my car I paid cash for it. As of June of '05 my $5K is paid for. So I have quit sending him the money to pay on the loan. He has filed a lawsuit against me for $3K saying that I am responsible for the other part of the loan. I need to know what my rights are and how he can have proof that I am responsible for a loan I did not take out. How can I prove my case. I can not afford a lawyer at this point for I just bought a house.

djohnson

Have your canceled checks showing what you have paid. Your calculations to show that yours would indeed be paid off now. And your original paperwork showing your portion. He could argue the whole thing is yours. The burden of proof is on him. You just need back up for your defense.

cys12373

As far as cancelled checks go, we had a joint checking account for a year of the loan. My name is no where on the loan. the only checks I have is for the months that we have been apart.

Happy Trails

cys12373 said:
As far as cancelled checks go, we had a joint checking account for a year of the loan. My name is no where on the loan. the only checks I have is for the months that we have been apart.
What a mess, Judges hate these kinds of cases. As djohnson stated, he will have the burden of proving that you owe for part of the loan.

What type of proof is he going to have?

Think about the type of proof he has; then you will need to come up with records of your own to dispute it. (Bank statements, your deposit slips, etc...)

Sounds like it may come down to a 'He said--she said' thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">