• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help quick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johneilers

Indiana----- I have a question regarding my past roommate. She was never listed on any bills or legal paperwork as living here, nor does she have any real proof that she ever paid rent, or gave me any other money. She has stated that she is going to take me to court and that her lawyer(if he exists) has said that she is "golden". Is it at all true that she could win with no paper trail to speak of?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Indiana----- I have a question regarding my past roommate. She was never listed on any bills or legal paperwork as living here, nor does she have any real proof that she ever paid rent, or gave me any other money. She has stated that she is going to take me to court and that her lawyer(if he exists) has said that she is "golden". Is it at all true that she could win with no paper trail to speak of?
Seems to me that she has a 50/50 shot, more or less. The darn crystal ball was thrown at me and shatter in to a bazillion pieces.

(Why is your roommate suing you? And, are you saying that you'll lie in court about her residing at your place?)

johneilers

so far so good

I wouldn't lie in court but she may try to say that she had lived there longer than she actually did. But my largest concern is that she is trying to sue for rent/utilities/food for while she lived there, barely any of which she actually paid for.

johneilers

counter?

Therefore since she paid about 1/5 of what was expected could I not counter-sue for the remaining amount?

sandyclaus

It's All About The Evidence...

Winning your case in Small Claims court is about who has proven their side of the case. Solid evidence is best to establish your proof.

If the former g/f is suing for rent/utilities/food bills, she will have to prove that she actually paid them. She'll need actual receipts, check copies, credit/debit card statements, along with signed IOU'S from you if she did to cover your share, to support her claim unless she gets you to say she paid them. On the other hand, if YOU have those same evidenciary documents showing YOU paid, not only does she lose her case, but you also bolster your counterclaim against her.

Lots of people toss out the "attorney" card to try and intimidate an opponent into compliance. Don't let that fool you. Her "attorney" probably said that to convince her that her case is "golden" too, all the while collecting his fees. In the end, HE still gets paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">